UBM

CMP Media

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

Location in SF was fun, good benefitsand met some great people working here. Close to South park and many newer restaurants near ball park

Cons

managment not listening to employees
after merger place was miserable have beeno losing people for years. no communication. Managment in NY too indifferent to CA workers

pay attention to your employees, try to promote from within based on ability not on those who have been there longest

65 Other Employee Reviews for UBM (View Most Recent)

The Worst 9 Months of My Life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UBM

Pros

Some nice, really smart people. Good location. Well-read co-workers. Some fun lunches out (pre-recession). Big company with decent benefits. OK about vacation time.

Cons

Honestly, I don't know how l lasted so long here. The first round of layoffs came 3 months after I started and that should have been a warning sign. People who had been there 20 years were just dumped. Some people who showed up before 8 and stayed until past 7pm were let go, but others who came in at 11am and left at 5pm were kept. Made no sense. The whole vibe was kind of one that was outdated and there was an acceptance of screaming as a tactic to motivate people. I honestly have never heard yelling like that in an office before. Management was at best inept, and at worse, cruel. It cured me of ever wanting to work in publishing again.

Try to at least pretend like you care about your employees. If you have to lay them off, at least don't humiliate them in the process. Figure out who does the actual work, before you do the layoffs.

CMP: Great benefits, disorganized company structure

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

CMP Media has a very good benefits package -- IF you take advantage of it. The company allows time off for volunteering, flexible summer hours (some offices), and often supports work-from-home schemes. The emphasis is on getting the job done and done well rather than getting in done during these working hours or this/that particular way. Tuition assistance is very good. HR staff has always been astounding. Employees with 7 years' experience with the company get sabbatical. Even the layoff package is pretty sweet.

Cons

CMP has rebranded itself, restructured its departments, and reclassified its corporate culture so many times no one knows who CMP Media employees are any more or what they do.

TRAIN middle management better.

There are newer employer reviews for UBM