There are newer employer reviews for UBS

UBS - Retail

Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UBS

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move within the company, whether its a physical move of location with a lateral position change or into an entirely different department.

Cons

The company is so large, predictably there are always a lot of machinations and procedures to follow to get something done. I had a problem with my securities registration and it was like moving a mountain to get someone in corporate to help me resolve it. Eventually they did, but I had to be very aggressive and I felt like corporate should have been more supportive from the very beginning.

Remember to treat the individuals on the front lines (the staff in the retail brokerage branches) with respect and intelligence because they represent the brand name day in and day out in their interactions with the public. While the corporate wigs manage the (very) big picture, we deal with a lot of important issues in the local offices.

1391 Other Employee Reviews for UBS (View Most Recent)

Lots of politics, but good learning opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at UBS

Pros

Really smart people...lots of training opportunities and international focus/assignments.

Cons

Highly political environment-difficult to navigate at times.

Cut down on the number of systems...they really need to be cleaned up.

Job for life

Current Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ

I have been working at UBS

Pros

UBS provides good benefits if you want a 9 to 5 job for life with little pressure to perform. Benefits are reasonable - good holidays and depending on rank you get additional personal days off. Work/life balance is probably the best reason to work at UBS and the longer you work there the more perks you get. If you're not really interested in pushing the hours you can hide out in middle management and survive on mediocre performance. People are generally nice and friendly though needless to say if you want to climb the food chain then your performance must increase.

Cons

Too many 9 to 5'ers and generally loose tolerances for performance - it's rare to see someone reprimanded for poor performance which impacts your team. The result of this is a culture of 'it will do' tends to permeate throughout the firm and it's easy to become a slacker which over time will take the edge off your performance (that's Ok if you want to be a lifer at UBS). Back office is exactly that - back office, or better put basement office and is generally focused on expense reduction so don't count on expensing pizza for the team if you're working late or getting a decent cut of the bonus pie.

People need to work harder.

There are newer employer reviews for UBS