UBS

www.ubs.com

UBS - Retail

Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move within the company, whether its a physical move of location with a lateral position change or into an entirely different department.

Cons

The company is so large, predictably there are always a lot of machinations and procedures to follow to get something done. I had a problem with my securities registration and it was like moving a mountain to get someone in corporate to help me resolve it. Eventually they did, but I had to be very aggressive and I felt like corporate should have been more supportive from the very beginning.

Remember to treat the individuals on the front lines (the staff in the retail brokerage branches) with respect and intelligence because they represent the brand name day in and day out in their interactions with the public. While the corporate wigs manage the (very) big picture, we deal with a lot of important issues in the local offices.

Other reviews for UBS

Bullish

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Obviously it depends on what area you are in, but overall I have found the UBS culture is friendly and supportive. I have heard people speculate that this is because the bank still maintains a European style relationship with its employees. I came from another bank in which, after a seemingly endless series mergers, everyone felt like they were walking around with a bulls-eye on the back of their head. People were miserable. I really have to say that given that experience I found the whole atmosphere at UBS like a breath of fresh air.

Cons

It has been a tough year news-wise. Between the 50+ billion write down, the cross-boarder issues and the auction rate security mess, UBS has been on the front pages way too much for my comfort. The Stock has taken a nose dive. One never likes to see one's employer take it on the chin because you would have to be an idiot not worry about job security in this market. That said, it has been tough for all Financial services companies.

In general, I think Senior management has done a good job of communicating during the financial crisis. It is a tough balancing act to try to keep the stock price from Tanking while "doing the right thing".

Lots of politics, but good learning opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

Really smart people...lots of training opportunities and international focus/assignments.

Cons

Highly political environment-difficult to navigate at times.

Cut down on the number of systems...they really need to be cleaned up.

There are newer employer reviews for UBS.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!