UBS

A satisfying experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at UBS

Pros

The work life balance was very good. I definitely contributed during my short time there and I got to interact with many of the brokers and advisors at the branch.

Cons

There was not too much structure to the work that I was doing. The pay is also not comparable to other jobs in the financial industry but the experience I felt was worth the salary sacrifice.

I would definitely say there were alot of internal changes occuring during the time I was working there and I think sometimes senior management was a little too far removed from the individual branches.

1533 Other Employee Reviews for UBS (View Most Recent)

Job for life

Current Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Weehawken, NJ

I have been working at UBS

Pros

UBS provides good benefits if you want a 9 to 5 job for life with little pressure to perform. Benefits are reasonable - good holidays and depending on rank you get additional personal days off. Work/life balance is probably the best reason to work at UBS and the longer you work there the more perks you get. If you're not really interested in pushing the hours you can hide out in middle management and survive on mediocre performance. People are generally nice and friendly though needless to say if you want to climb the food chain then your performance must increase.

Cons

Too many 9 to 5'ers and generally loose tolerances for performance - it's rare to see someone reprimanded for poor performance which impacts your team. The result of this is a culture of 'it will do' tends to permeate throughout the firm and it's easy to become a slacker which over time will take the edge off your performance (that's Ok if you want to be a lifer at UBS). Back office is exactly that - back office, or better put basement office and is generally focused on expense reduction so don't count on expensing pizza for the team if you're working late or getting a decent cut of the bonus pie.

People need to work harder.

Do not get sold by the sexy side. Money takes along time to gather.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at UBS

Pros

UBS has good benefits and training. Healthcare benefits are offered on the first day of employment. The networking is also a major benefit; if you enjoy attending numerous functions.

Cons

A balance between work and life do not exist. Management will sell you on the idea that schedules are flexible, but performance goals are unrealistic. Watch the Enron trading documentary and you will see how UBS operates. The biggest downside is the amount of cold calling that is emphasized. If you do not like cold calling stay away from this type of work. Most managers climbed the ladder during the 90's when cold calling was effective and people wanted to hear about the latest Wall Street concoction. Today, nobody wants to take a brokers call especially for risky products that get you paid.

Set realistic goals and provide more support with lead generation. Also, get out of the 90's, assets are not sold by simply cold calling anymore.

There are newer employer reviews for UBS