UC Berkeley
www.berkeley.edu Berkeley, CA 500 to 999 Employees

I am a postdoc in biological sciences at Berkeley

Postdoctoral (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWith the new union, the salary is commensurate with NIH levels. There is a decent amount of support filling out health care options and learning about other benefits through HR and the VSPA. They have just started a number of programs designed to help with academic job searches and applying for grants.

ConsThe graduate union at Berkeley prohibits postdocs from teaching or TAing. If you want additional teaching experience, you need to go outside the UC System (eg community college or SF state). There is little to no support for jobs outside of academia. There is little or no support if you are having conflicts within your lab or within the department (though think this is pretty standard for universities). The career center is much more focused on the undergrads than on post grad job searches.

I had a great time meeting awesome people.

Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee)
Berkeley, CA

I have been working at UC Berkeley as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Flexible hours The staff is friendly Cons: Low Pay Is a government job Advice to Senior Management: Work out state budgeting issues Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

My experience has been a good one, but I do not like that there is a lot of office politics and little room to move up.

Computer Resource Specialist I (Current Employee)
Berkeley, CA

I have been working at UC Berkeley as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Flexible hours, non-micro management, nice co-workers etc... Cons: Many supervisor changes, lack of communication, office politics and rumors… Advice to Senior Management: It would be great to give feedback to our employees from time to time. There should be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on UC Berkeley.

Worked for UC Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Berkeley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC Berkeley CEO Nicholas B. Dirks. All reviews posted anonymously by UC Berkeley employees.