UC Davis

miserable

Current Employee - Not A Good Place to Work in Davis, CA
Current Employee - Not A Good Place to Work in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

Good benefits as pertaining to vacation, sick leave-pension has been good but they are making changes to reduce that.

Cons

Unqualified managers and supervisors in many departments. Childish game playing on many levels. The level of favoritism and nepotism is appalling. Very unprofessional environment. Also the University is in mass layoff mode, but the bulk of those being targeted for layoffs are those not in a special clique with these unqualified manager/supervisors. Lots of dirty tricks going on to make safe jobs of "pets", including promoting them to a higher grade to protect lower grade sections being laid off-even though they do no more work or are not even qualified. They are giving them raises and promotions while laying off other competent individuals who aren't in the " in crowd", kind of sickening to watch.

Corruption is not attractive and in the end it comes back to bite you-sooner or later. Cultivate a mature, qualified management/supervisory staff who think logically and with their brain not their emotions and school girl agenda.

382 Other Employee Reviews for UC Davis (View Most Recent)

I met lots of lovely people in the community and worked with fellow college students in an energetic atmosphere.

Former Employee - Campus Recreation Youth Programs, Camp Instructor in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis

Pros

This review is specific to Campus Recreation's Youth Programs. The camps run for ten weeks of the summer, so are ideal for students. It's good experience for tutoring or childcare positions later, but you will still need Early Childhood Education to get a better-paying job elsewhere. Within Campus Rec, most people come back for second or third years. If you want to take on more responsibility, it was easy to apply for Student Manager positions. We had lots of opportunities to make contacts with the UCD staff and admins who signed their kids up, as well as within Campus Rec. Can work full time or half time during the summer. During school year, can also volunteer to work at spring break or winter break camps for extra cash.

Cons

My student manager was a first-timer and still figuring out the job, so our year-end reviews were basically the only feedback we got. I prefer more specific, one-on-one criticism and encouragement. I had a great experience, though. Not many cons come to mind.

I'd have liked to see more feedback, like a mid-year evaluation instead of just the year-end meeting and peer reviews. I'd like to see a camp manager or program manager sit in on classes.

Excellent experience, especially for working students

Current Employee - Necropsy Tech in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Necropsy Tech in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

Flexible schedual, decent pay, amazing co-workers and management that are always will to teach you. Overall a very fun atmosphere, and the work was rewarding to know you are contributing to the greater scientific community

Cons

You probably wont ever get rich working in the field. It has does have a general cap and at times the work load can suddenly raise for a week or two depending on other external factors beyond the managers control

Continue to hire on undergrads. It gives them the opportunity they need in this growing field in order for them to be competitive by the time they graduate.

There are newer employer reviews for UC Davis