UC Hastings College of the Law

www.uchastings.edu
There are newer employer reviews for UC Hastings College of the Law

Excellent.

I have been working at UC Hastings College of the Law

Pros

There is a Collegial environment.

Cons

There is Insufficient state funding for the school to function without ever increasing tuition burden on students and staffing cutbacks.

5 Other Employee Reviews for UC Hastings College of the Law (View Most Recent)

great place to work

Former Employee - Archives in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Archives in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

pretty hands off, you do your work and people tend to be pretty nice. People tend to stick to themselves and are pleasant. The buildings are undergoing improvements, and the students generally seem to be happy and hard working.

Cons

terrible neighborhood, like scary to walk from the train to the building. Things don't really feel safe, they have security, but i know that people have snuck by and gotten into the library. Its more of a neighborhood problem than school issue, but still its bad. Ive seen blood all over the sidewalk, people shooting up, going to the bathroom and having sex within the same block the school is on.

Offer insurance to contractors, we need to go to the dentist too! Also work with the city somehow to improve the safety of the neighborhood.

Not so bad, but you'd think they could do better.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I've done a few odd research jobs here, never a regular employee, so my impressions are based mainly on interactions with staff in the payroll and fiscal services department. Not good. I really can't speak to the experience of a full-time employee here. On the upside, the professors I've worked with are top-notch, very professional and accommodating, with intellectually stimulating work.

Cons

Everything is a mess to get done, administrative and paperwork-wise. I always had a delay and a run-around to get paid. I can understand that it's a state-run joint and there are layers of red tape, but even if you look beyond that, there's a lot of unnecessary unpleasantness. The people working in the administrative offices are rude and disinterested, which is understandable since their processes make so little sense. The friendliest, most helpful people I encountered seemed to be student interns, but the long-term employees are clearly so secure in their jobs they don't need to care if they do them well or how they treat people. You'll get better service at the coffee shop in the lobby.

Talk to private schools, see how they do things, and start over. Administration is pretty rinky-dink for a major public institution. Get it together!

There are newer employer reviews for UC Hastings College of the Law