Career Center Rocks

Current Employee - Career Counselor in Riverside, CA
Current Employee - Career Counselor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at UC Riverside

Pros

Since implementing specialty groups in the office - employer relations, counseling and special events - the cohesion and productivity of our team is awesome. Management also promotes professional growth for each employee to encourage expertise compatible with our interests. The Career Center is recognized and revered on campus, which management makes a point to share and celebrate with us, contributing to a sense of pride in our office. Appreciate the amount of creativeness in the team members in our office. Love the feedback from students when they are successful in their career goals as a result of my and the colleagues' efforts.

Cons

Evening programming can erode work/life balance, but assignments are pretty equitably distributed among the team. Frustrated with the process of getting vacation and offtime approved. Don't prefer the public speaking aspect, about a third of my job, but have utilized technology and company professionals to assist.

Advice to Management

Continue to capitalize on the strengths of your employees and facilitate their growth and expertise in those areas to benefit the university. New Chancellor Timothy P. White is doing a great job.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Job as long as there is money in the budget for you.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Riverside, CA

I worked at UC Riverside

Pros

During good economic times graduate students are very well supported financially with teaching assignments throughout the calendar year, full tuition paid, and complete health insurance provided.

Cons

There is very little policing of other teaching assistants. Some of them can do a very poor job which results in a negative view of teaching assistants at the university. Budget cuts can result in very quick layoffs with little advance warning, leaving teaching assistants high and dry.

Advice to Management

Provide better advance warning to teaching assistants when their position is about to be eliminated. Faculty or management should perform spot checks on teaching assistants performance to lessen the great negative impact of the few very poor teaching assistants.

2. UCR lab consultant is chillest job on campus

Current Employee - Lab Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Consultant in Riverside, CA

I have been working at UC Riverside

Pros

It's a really easy job. If your very knowledgeable about computers your set. Just know office and how to troubleshoot basic computer issues

Cons

Disgruntled students call help desk.

Advice to Management

Fix all of the buggy services.