There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Above average employer overall / average employer among higher education.

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer in La Jolla, CA
Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros

The caliber of UCSD students makes working with them rewarding and challenging in the good way. In addition, the benefits of working for the UC are better than average compared to other employers.

Cons

The current budget crisis has affected morale across campus. As state employees, our compensation was never overly generous so the furloughs have been devastating. Working in Student Affairs at UCSD has been a challenge because of the highly decentralized nature of the campus.

I appreciate the openness and transparency with which the leadership has handled the current fiscal crisis. My sincere hope is that when the economy recovers our salaries are raised back to levels that recruit and retain a competent workforce, and that plans are made to prevent such a disaster from occurring again at this magnitude.

394 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego (View Most Recent)

Great university for biomedical research

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego

Pros

One of the best UC schools with heavy emphasis on scientific research and development. The city itself is a "heaven" to me with great weather, scenery, people.......

Cons

The reputation of the university is not as high as those Ivy Leagues in the US northeast region even though the quality of the research is great, the university should do more to promote itself.

Like any other universities in the US, the salary of postdocs are well below the levels they deserve, the leaders of the university together with other UC schools should provide better compensation package to postdoctoral scholars in the universities.

Working at UCSD

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros

Dynamic, positive working environment at a Top Tiered nationally ranked university.

Cons

Ego driven faculty have too much voice in running the institution, detracting from administrative leadership making the right decisions for the direction of the university. Fear based decision making.

Take charge of the campus - make strategic decisions that benefit all without fear of reprisal from the faculty.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego