UC San Diego

www.ucsd.edu
  www.ucsd.edu
There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Above average employer overall / average employer among higher education.

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer in La Jolla, CA
Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros

The caliber of UCSD students makes working with them rewarding and challenging in the good way. In addition, the benefits of working for the UC are better than average compared to other employers.

Cons

The current budget crisis has affected morale across campus. As state employees, our compensation was never overly generous so the furloughs have been devastating. Working in Student Affairs at UCSD has been a challenge because of the highly decentralized nature of the campus.

I appreciate the openness and transparency with which the leadership has handled the current fiscal crisis. My sincere hope is that when the economy recovers our salaries are raised back to levels that recruit and retain a competent workforce, and that plans are made to prevent such a disaster from occurring again at this magnitude.

434 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego (View Most Recent)

Working at UCSD

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros

Dynamic, positive working environment at a Top Tiered nationally ranked university.

Cons

Ego driven faculty have too much voice in running the institution, detracting from administrative leadership making the right decisions for the direction of the university. Fear based decision making.

Take charge of the campus - make strategic decisions that benefit all without fear of reprisal from the faculty.

UCSD Bioengineering

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Laie, HI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Laie, HI

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros

A somewhat well-respected bioengineering program in the nation, located in a place with good weather, laidback environment, collaborative research environment

Cons

Huge bureaucracy, long lines and red tape (it's UCSD!), faculty don't care, lots of grade inflation, administration staff is largely disorganized, very sterile environment, people located in labs next to each other don't talk or say hi.

Pay more attention to the students' needs, foster more activities that encourage bonding between faculty, staff, and students, more courtesy towards one another

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego