UC San Diego

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Great

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great research environment and rich funding resources

Cons

parking is not free and very limited

431 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego (View Most Recent)

Way more laid back than I expected

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time

Pros

Great familial, pleasant work environment. I'm surrounded by people who are obviously very qualified (and possibly underpaid) for the work we perform, but this environment has little to no toxic qualities about it (i.e., very little complaining, management meddling, petty political BS). There's pressure, but it's more about completing our projects as opposed to reactionary management pressure based on quarterly results. Also, the extremely few (less than 5) times I've had to stay late to work was completely my own choice.

Cons

The only gripe I have on a regular basis is that there are almost 10 passwords I need to remember to get between the many different systems. Parking can be an issue and is costly to get a permit. Also, if you like to buy lunch, food choices are often a good 10+ minute walk away, so if you have a short lunch break, bringing lunch is preferable.

Technology is really good compared to past organizations I've been with, but it seems to be inconsistently deployed (i.e., some employees have mobile email, only some employees have chat/Skype, etc.)

Intramural Sports Department

Former Employee - Sports Assistant in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Sports Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, relaxed environment. Good networking with students, chance to hang out in gyms and sports fields. Accepts work-study students for employment.

Cons

Positions only available to currently enrolled undergraduate students. Pay isn't great, there is limited availability for jobs beyond undergraduate positions.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego