There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Grad student researcher in engineering

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Grad office staff is great, career advising is great (at least while you're still a student). If your advisor is able to fund you as a GSR, you'll live comfortably enough. Food's available on campus, and parking's free on weekends (for now).

Cons

Allocation of resources (like office space) varies heavily from department to department. In ours, you had to know which offices were available and ask for them, because the department wasn't keeping track well enough to hand them out.

Advice to Management

One reason there's little alumni engagement is because their last memory is the exceedingly picky process of formatting the thesis. Is it the end of the world if the page numbers are in slightly the wrong position?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Way more laid back than I expected

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time

Pros

Great familial, pleasant work environment. I'm surrounded by people who are obviously very qualified (and possibly underpaid) for the work we perform, but this environment has little to no toxic qualities about it (i.e., very little complaining, management meddling, petty political BS). There's pressure, but it's more about completing our projects as opposed to reactionary management pressure based on quarterly results. Also, the extremely few (less than 5) times I've had to stay late to work was completely my own choice.

Cons

The only gripe I have on a regular basis is that there are almost 10 passwords I need to remember to get between the many different systems. Parking can be an issue and is costly to get a permit. Also, if you like to buy lunch, food choices are often a good 10+ minute walk away, so if you have a short lunch break, bringing lunch is preferable.

Advice to Management

Technology is really good compared to past organizations I've been with, but it seems to be inconsistently deployed (i.e., some employees have mobile email, only some employees have chat/Skype, etc.)

2. Gained much experience by working with all departments.

Current Employee - Associate Research Analyst in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Research Analyst in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, management cares about their employees

Cons

Not great with office perks.