UC San Diego

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Excellent Work Environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a scientist, UCSD has wonderful resources to carry out a variety of scientific research. UCSD has many labs at the forefront of my research area as well as many others. The location of UCSD is terrific as well, with beautiful coastal living or more urban living, some of which can be affordable.

Cons

Academia in general is a challenging endeavor. Though this environment has all the trappings of a terrific job, it is still at the whims of general academia and is not immune to the national troubles in funding scientific research.

The turn-over in non-academic administration seems really high, and often the academics find themselves in situations where administration either does not know how to submit a particular grant, knows the requirements, or makes mistakes.

416 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego (View Most Recent)

Ultimately bad

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the stability of your job along with a relatively low pressure environment is nice at the time. Being at a university is, if not anything else, intellectually stimulating. The flexibility was nice as well.

Cons

After putting in over 14 years at UC San Diego, my project was no longer funded and all the connections I had made in my time there turned away from me. Years and years of salary freezes, helping people for no benefit, working for the greater good all for naught. NEVER depend on this organization looking out for your career goals if you are non-faculty. It is not in their best interest.

Show some freaking loyalty.

A student researcher's perspective

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to funding, some departments are friendlier than others, most people are very helpful.

Cons

Pay is way too low for student researchers. Overly bureaucratic. They are constantly sending emails out about initiatives but I have never seen anything implemented or that had any real impact.

Pay GSR's better. Focus more on the individuals, not just making big department heads happy.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego