UC San Diego

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego

Ultimately bad

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the stability of your job along with a relatively low pressure environment is nice at the time. Being at a university is, if not anything else, intellectually stimulating. The flexibility was nice as well.

Cons

After putting in over 14 years at UC San Diego, my project was no longer funded and all the connections I had made in my time there turned away from me. Years and years of salary freezes, helping people for no benefit, working for the greater good all for naught. NEVER depend on this organization looking out for your career goals if you are non-faculty. It is not in their best interest.

Show some freaking loyalty.

414 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Diego (View Most Recent)

Difficult to find paid research positions/compensation for the work you're interested in.

Former Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You're on campus, so you don't have to worry about travelling off campus (Depending on your work-- certain types of research may require you have a car to access off-campus sites).

Cons

Limited HR for the work I was involved in, a lot of in-hiring (i.e. claiming they don't favor current employees for higher-up positions, but these are the only people who are ever hired up). If you don't attend the university and work here part time, the commute to La Jolla is tedious.

Make it possible for student workers to negotiate for raises and open up paid research opportunities for students instead of having them "volunteer" in labs.

Great Summer Research Experience

Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Research Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun learning experience doing summer research in the UCSD astronomy department. Flexible hours and friendly lab mates and Adviser.

Cons

Limited scope of tasks. Data entry type research. Limited access to research adviser.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Diego