Great Medicine/Science

Former Employee - Graduate Student  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Graduate Student in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Top-notch scientific powerhouse. Lots of resources for research. Great location in the city. New Mission Bay facilities.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy. Cost of living is high in San Francisco.

Other Reviews for UC San Francisco

Would never go back...

Former Employee - Analyst II  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

Healthcare benefits are very good. And in general, most UCSF offices are closed for the intersession break, and this is a very nice benefit.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is a strong "political" atmosphere that permeates many of the departments there. And depending on the particular department, there can be very oppressive work environments where excellence is not always encouraged. In my former department, when an individual worker offered a solution to a difficult problem, or a systemic improvement, the management would take it and offer it as their own, never giving credit where credit is due. Also in the particular department where I worked, cordiality and respect was not the norm. In fact, it was discouraged. This may have been especially problematic in the department where I worked, but I am told that there are similar problems at large, across departmental lines.

Respect the individuals who give their best to the institution. Take serious consideration of the cost of living in the SF area and pay your employees well enough to not only survive, but thrive. Take a hard look at ways in which your own bottom lines can be enhanced through dignity at the workplace. There is no room for bullying in any successful workplace, yet this is one thing that does continue to flourish at UCSF. When you discover incompetence or conduct that is not compatible with institutional policy or state and federal regulations, don't ignore it for as long as you can. Take immediate action.

Langly Porter Internship

Current Employee - Software Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco as an intern for more than a year

Pros

- kind, interesting people
    - always something new to learn

Cons

- poor management
    - very low pay relative to similar internships at other companies

It really depends on who you are under, but my manager needed to actually manage. He did not supervise and did not clearly delineate tasks between subordinates. As a result, all the projects were a complete mess, with multiple people completing the same task. My advice to management would be to pick team leaders who are not just good doctors but who know how to lead.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco.

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!