UC San Francisco

www.ucsf.edu

A great place to work

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  South San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good facilities, many projects to choose from. UCSF is an important organization

Cons

I wish there were more shuttle stops

Other reviews for UC San Francisco

Good place

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great staff environment and good employee get togethers even for part timers.

Cons

Working part time gets no benefits and they keep you part time as to save money for the company. just know that besides the great people you work with you are also working for a corporation that exploits human labor.

Depending on your goals this could be a great place to work or a terrible place.

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The best thing about UCSF is how fascinating the research being done here is. I work everyday and I am impressed by all the things that I do and all the things that are going on around me. The people around me are very interesting people with vibrant personalities that are from all over the world.

Additionally the employment is very stable. In most positions, after 5 years, you can become "vested" and you are pretty much guaranteed a job for life. I have not experience furloughs or cuts in benefits despite the rough economic times.

Cons

The worst part about UCSF is that high pressure situations often occur due to problematic bosses. Often time PI's push their employees to do more work than can be done within a reasonable work day and people are often forced to stay more than 16 hours without being paid more (even though they are supposed to be).

Additionally the unions seem to be working against the employees in the following three ways: (1) there is no incentive to perform exceptionally (doing the bare minimum is insisted and enforced), (2) there is a minimal and slow upward mobility that encourages very few to stay, and (3) to seniority is valued more than ability.

There needs to be more accountability for the way PIs treat their employees. They are allowed full reign to abuse the people under them and not one stops them or even discourages it. Additionally the problem is institutionalized because there is little incentive for hard-working, good people to stay in the lower tiers.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco.

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!