There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

A very pleasant working environment

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate III  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The lab I worked for was really what made this job one of my favorites so far. They were like my family away from home. As long as we got our work done, we could take a long lunch or leave early every once in a while. Working at a world class research institute also led to six publications in 4 years. Plus I'm still being cited on new papers even though I left 2.5 years ago. There are also many opportunities to attend medical/health seminars and network with the medical school, receive scholarships for continuing education, and collaborate with other departments.

Cons

As with any lab job, the work can get monotonous. I felt like I mastered most of my responsibilities after 1 year. But this also gave me more time to expand my role, improve procedures and protocols, organize, be involved in the grant writing process, and learn more about the research itself (not just the bench work). Because of this, I received a promotion from SRA I to SRA II after 1.5 years.

336 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco (View Most Recent)

Excellent Opportunities for Professional Development

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional development opportunities are encouraged, good salary, collaboration among different levels at the hospital, the feeling that you are making a difference

Cons

I was there during Operational Excellence and I wasn't effected but many of my co-workers were upset by the changes that caused.

There was a mentorship program that you couldn't enter until you had been at UCSF for more than a year. I had to seek out my own mentors for advice and guidance when I first got there.

Smart people, beautiful and fun city, not enough money or time

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The research environment is really stimulating and collaborative. There are always great seminars and new postdocs coming from other places to befriend and/or learn from. The faculty are all really passionate about doing good science, and it makes for a great training environment. In addition, there are numerous bay area science & technology events to attend.

Cons

It is incredibly expensive to live in San Francisco and UCSF does not account for the cost of living - salaries here for postdocs and graduate students are the same as they are in Nashville, TN, for example. Also, because the training environment is so top-notch, and the state of funding in science is so dire, many PIs are stressed and many people work 60-90 hours a week.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!