There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

Good environment for science if you are in the right department with the right boss.

Current Employee - Associate Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Associate Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

Good scientific environment. Plenty of good people to talk to.

Cons

Pay level is not nearly high enough to survive with a family in the bay area. The university is resistant to promotion even when the boss advocates for it. Lab heads can be autocratic and not careful about science.

Senior support staff with high degrees of experience, advanced degrees, and a record of major contributions to their scientific field don't always get paid well. I would be getting paid far more now if I had never attended graduate school and did a postdoc, and I would have the savings of all those years in my 401k.

330 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco (View Most Recent)

A good university to work for

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

Working for UCSF will give you skills and experiences that you can use outside of research administration. There are also a lot of opportunities to get promoted if this is the right field for you.

Cons

The technology at UCSF is not updated. The reporting system that UCSF uses is very slow and not very efficient. Most of UCSF still used manually updated excel spreadsheets for reports.

I had a great experience working there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great opportunity to work with and learn from people that were experts in their field. The work was meaningful and I learned a lot from the position. The environment was very accomodating, allowing for flexible hours, telecommuting, and the position did not require overtime.

Cons

Of course the salary at a university is not going to be close to what the salary would be in industry.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!