There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco

UCSF is an okay place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco

Pros

Working at UCSF (especially as an SRA) allows you to learn a great deal about whatever area you work in. I think that it provides you with a valuable opportunity for personal growth. In my position, I have a lot of freedom. My supervisors are available to help when I need them or have questions, but they generally leave me to do my job as I wish. The guidance I have received from my supervisors has been excellent and they have been very proactive in getting me the tools I need to work comfortably and easily.

Cons

Transportation to work, salary could be better, UC should pay for a bigger part of health insurance.

Increase salary and benefits.

348 Other Employee Reviews for UC San Francisco (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, but . . .

Current Employee - Analyst II Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst II Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco

Pros

UCSF has great medical, dental and vision benefits, and while the pay looks good to start, there is really no pay increases unless you get promoted. Since the average tenure at the university is very high (over a decade), that means few opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Poor advancement opportunities. No bonuses for positive performance

Monitor and reward good performers and don't be afraid to penalize poor performers.

UCSF is a very intellectually stimulating environment

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco

Pros

Intellectual abilities of people - these are some of the smartest people you will ever work with. Having these coworkers around results in a very entrepreneurial atmosphere that also brings about a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the workplace. Compared to similar institutions, the amount of collaboration is also much higher at UCSF. People are always willing to talk or lend a hand or just suggest other sources of information when they don't know the answer. The facilities are also great. Every piece of equipment is basically here and since it's a very collegial atmosphere, everything is available for use after asking.

Cons

The worse thing is really the hours. Being a scientist, you have to work anywhere from 50-80 hour weeks to get your experiments done. Often, that includes a lot of downtime that allows you to catch up on reading articles or running personal errands, but still, when you are spending 10-15 hour days in lab, that can have a huge effect on your morale. The other major downside is the salary compensation. Being a public institution, we barely get paid for our time and efforts. Given the number of hours actually worked, this number works out to something like $3 per hour.

The advice I would give to Senior Management is be much more open and transparent than you currently are. Employees don't know what's going on and it often leads to confusion and much more griping than necessary.

There are newer employer reviews for UC San Francisco