UC Santa Barbara
www.ucsb.edu Santa Barbara, CA 5000+ Employees

Repetitive, fast paced (at times) environment with great student employee workforce.

Student Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at UC Santa Barbara part-time for more than a year

ProsThe relationships you build with your fellow employees is the biggest plus; it's a great place to make friends especially because there are a lot of students working each shift. You can pick the positions and shifts that you like, and switching shifts is easy. The cooks are friendly for the most part and make working there more enjoyable (protip: accumulate your cooks help hours ASAP! You get a raise and better shifts).

ConsIt can get very busy during certain times of the year, and believe me, there are a few jobs that are terrible during these times. Servers have it the best, dish crew has it the worst (you will probably be completely soaked, but some people seem to like it). Sometimes it feels like the customers (students mostly) look down on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose your student managers carefully. The majority of them are great, but a few tend to let their power get to their heads. This makes for an unenjoyable shift and unhappy, unmotivated underlings.

Excellent academics, social scene, and setting. Employment...not too plentiful

Community Service Officer (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at UC Santa Barbara part-time for more than a year

Pros: Amazing side benefits to many university positions. Cons: No full-time positions available on campus Advice to Senior Management: Be careful with whom you entrust these positions. Immaturity and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

They work you too hard and pay you wages barely above the poverty line.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)
Goleta, CA

I have been working at UC Santa Barbara full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Next to the beach free food access to cool technologies Cons: waaaayy too much work a lot of stupid bullsh1t busy work TAing is terrible the professors are arrogant a55holes that simply want… Advice to Senior Management: Pay graduate students more, or demand less of them. Require taking less… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on UC Santa Barbara.

Worked for UC Santa Barbara? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Santa Barbara reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC Santa Barbara CEO Henry T. Yang. All reviews posted anonymously by UC Santa Barbara employees.