UCLA

Engineering Intern in Facilities Management

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

I was working in an internship position that gave me a lot of flexibility and provided a great learning opportunity. My boss was very concerned with my education and would go to great lengths to help me in my understanding. He assigned me reasonable tasks and gave me a great deal of leeway to get them accomplished. There was a good level of interaction among employees and everyone was glad to help me when I needed clarification or more information. I was able to take time off when I needed to and I was relatively free in choosing my hours.

Cons

The pay at UCLA was not as great as working at other engineering internships as I have had in the past. A lot of the tasks that I was required to do were kind of repetitive, and some of the working conditions were rather extreme, it being often quite hot and noisy, and needing to work around steam piping a great deal of the time was rather dangerous, although proper safety precautions were taught and implemented. I did not see a great deal of opportunity for developing a career that would have been very fulfilling, it would have been tedious work that I did not find very stimulating.

I enjoyed working with the management, they were always helpful and would go out of their way for me. Communication was generally pretty easily accessible, but at times duties were a bit unclear. I enjoyed the freedom given to me to pursue my goals, and the oversight when I needed it was not overbearing.

593 Other Employee Reviews for UCLA (View Most Recent)

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Events Services in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Its convenient if you live on campus cuz its so close by, and the wage is decent. I worked at ucla for a year and it was a great experience cuz i was able to get into some free screenings of movies that played on campus. The people I worked with were great and that was one of the best reasons I enjoyed my work experience at ucla. I would do it again and would recommend my friends to the job as well. I would have worked longer but at the time I quit i was going to graduate.

Cons

The wage could be better, and the stuff I did was sometimes easy, sometimes hard.

I would tell them to pay the employees more because students need the money.

It's a boring job that pays poorly, but it's on campus and pretty convenient scheduling wise.

Former Employee - Student Support Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Support Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Good Schedule for a student, because they work around your school schedule.

Cons

The pay is fairly lousy, and the manager is not the best. It's hard to make any money doing the work, and sometimes they are less than flexible about your work time. It's also just a lot of boring rote work and stuff like that, which isn't exactly the most fun or exciting work in the whole wide world. It's just so boring that the days really stretch out, and sometimes you will just have to leave early because there is no way you can possibly handle an extra 2 - 3 hours at the place. It's kind of iserable in that regard.

It would be hard to make that job better.

There are newer employer reviews for UCLA