UCLA
www.ucla.edu Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Engineering Intern in Facilities Management

Engineering Assistant (Former Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA

ProsI was working in an internship position that gave me a lot of flexibility and provided a great learning opportunity. My boss was very concerned with my education and would go to great lengths to help me in my understanding. He assigned me reasonable tasks and gave me a great deal of leeway to get them accomplished. There was a good level of interaction among employees and everyone was glad to help me when I needed clarification or more information. I was able to take time off when I needed to and I was relatively free in choosing my hours.

ConsThe pay at UCLA was not as great as working at other engineering internships as I have had in the past. A lot of the tasks that I was required to do were kind of repetitive, and some of the working conditions were rather extreme, it being often quite hot and noisy, and needing to work around steam piping a great deal of the time was rather dangerous, although proper safety precautions were taught and implemented. I did not see a great deal of opportunity for developing a career that would have been very fulfilling, it would have been tedious work that I did not find very stimulating.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working with the management, they were always helpful and would go out of their way for me. Communication was generally pretty easily accessible, but at times duties were a bit unclear. I enjoyed the freedom given to me to pursue my goals, and the oversight when I needed it was not overbearing.

Good stable environment but little room to grow

Staff Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros: The evironment is friendly and everyone pretty much knows your name after the first week. They are flexible with work hours and they allow you… Cons: Don't expect to move up the corporate ladder so easily because people are around for 20+ years at the same job. Your work doesn't get… Advice to Senior Management: keep employees happy with more incentives to keep them around… More

It's a boring job that pays poorly, but it's on campus and pretty convenient scheduling wise.

Student Support Staff (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros: Good Schedule for a student, because they work around your… Cons: The pay is fairly lousy, and the manager is not the best. It's hard to make any money doing the work, and sometimes they… Advice to Senior Management: It would be hard to make that job better. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on UCLA.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UCLA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UCLA CEO Gene D. Block. All reviews posted anonymously by UCLA employees.