Sports Medicine ATC

Pros

Good experience working with athletes/people

Cons

Hours are hard to and long

Advice to Management

Keep at it

Other Employee Reviews for UCLA

1. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Student Affairs Officer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is wonderful to be on a US campus and to work with students and faculty. I am happy with the vacation time offered and you can earn more vacation time off by donating blood.

Cons

I find that I am paying more for parking and medical insurance than elsewhere. It also appears that promotions and raises may prove difficult, although I have not yet tried.

2. Bewildering

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

UCLA has a beautiful campus, wonderful weather, and is populated by some amazingly intelligent, motivated, hard-working students.

Cons

Job expectations could not be less clear. I'm guessing this is probably because no one in the administration knows what they are either. You are evaluated by sets of committees filled with nameless members whom you never meet. The criterion you are evaluated on are sometimes secret and often contradictory (from committee to committee). The worst part is there is no one to discuss your performance with because you have no idea who will be evaluating you and this will be different every time.

Advice to Management

While I understand the importance of shared leadership, accountability has its advantages as well. It would be nice to create a system where employees could have some idea whom they could turn to for reliable job advice. It would be nice to have some hints at standards by which one could assess oneself. I have heard many people discuss how difficult it would be for the multiple layers of committees with their ever-shifting membership to establish any criterion at all. While I recognize the difficulty in this, consider the even greater difficulty this poses for employees being evaluated by groups of people who have given up hope on the idea of agreeing as to how to evaluate them.