UCLA

www.ucla.edu
  www.ucla.edu
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

TA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Work with students, feel like you are making a difference

Cons

Exploited and not paid enough

592 Other Employee Reviews for UCLA (View Most Recent)

Bewildering

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UCLA has a beautiful campus, wonderful weather, and is populated by some amazingly intelligent, motivated, hard-working students.

Cons

Job expectations could not be less clear. I'm guessing this is probably because no one in the administration knows what they are either. You are evaluated by sets of committees filled with nameless members whom you never meet. The criterion you are evaluated on are sometimes secret and often contradictory (from committee to committee). The worst part is there is no one to discuss your performance with because you have no idea who will be evaluating you and this will be different every time.

While I understand the importance of shared leadership, accountability has its advantages as well. It would be nice to create a system where employees could have some idea whom they could turn to for reliable job advice. It would be nice to have some hints at standards by which one could assess oneself. I have heard many people discuss how difficult it would be for the multiple layers of committees with their ever-shifting membership to establish any criterion at all. While I recognize the difficulty in this, consider the even greater difficulty this poses for employees being evaluated by groups of people who have given up hope on the idea of agreeing as to how to evaluate them.

UCLA Anderson - Marketing & Communications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time

Pros

Great benefits (health, insurance, paid sick/vacation, paid tuition, recreation programs, paid conferences and travel)
    Great location and beautiful campus - right by Westwood Village with plenty of nice restaurants and shopping centers
    Great food - gourmet food at a low cost

Cons

Parking costs ($280 every three months)
    Very poor management and HR system - you're at a mercy of whoever is above you, which will most likely NOT know what they are doing

Take a sense of accountability and do not fire people base on your lack of skill set or responsibility

There are newer employer reviews for UCLA