There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

Location, Location, Location

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A majority of the people you will work with are the nicest people you'll ever meet in a workplace. The benefits and time off are awesome.

Cons

Everything depends on what department you work in. A few are great, most a good, a few are awful. Many managers got to their position not necessarily by being competent at their job but by managing to outlast everyone else. Every job is politics heavy and affecting any change can be almost impossible. Know your place and keep your head down is generally the name of the game.

Don't be afraid of innovation. Just because it's the way you've always done it doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do it. Be wary of the little kingdoms that people tend to build, this and stagnation kills morale.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great first job

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant | Peer Counselor | Assistant Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours for my department and good work environment. I had great mentors and supervisors that were very helpful and honest which helped me better my job performance.

Cons

Even though I loved the work, a lot of the work may sometimes have to happen on your own time especially if you're a small department.

2. Good experience as a teaching assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay level differs according to teaching experience. Usually pays better than a graduate student researcher position.

Cons

Some courses requires heavy grading duties, but can be arranged with an additional grader if one asks early.

There are newer employer reviews for UCLA