UCLA

www.ucla.edu
  www.ucla.edu
There are newer employer reviews for UCLA

Understaffed, Underpaid, Micromanaged, Moronic

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few gems you will meet in this department, but they are few and far in between. Those are the only people that matter in this toxic environment.

Cons

The management is awful and moronic. They do not know what they are doing and treat every single employee as if they are replaceable. However, the management is SO bad that they can't even replace an employee. While other UCLA departments can hire within 30 days, UAN management takes at least 4 months just to hire for a position they knew about for over 2 years. The management is also passive aggressive, selfish, and will penalize you for everything. If you accomplish something, the manager will take credit for it, and if the management fails something, they will not hesitate to place the blame on you. They are also so oblivious to anything that goes on around them. This was by far the worst management I have ever seen and even after you leave the department, they will tell everyone to cut all ties with you. The manager is so paranoid that she theorized about how past employees may be sabotaging and manipulating her files in the server; which is not possible. And past employees are so relieved to get out of the department they don't ever look back, not to mention waste their time manipulating her templates.

Management is the problem and they are the reason that people can't do their work. This environment is TOXIC, negative, unmotivational, and self-deprecating. Management is selfish and oblivious, unorganized and passive aggressive, and overall just the worst. There is NO room for movement and NOWHERE TO GO from here.

591 Other Employee Reviews for UCLA (View Most Recent)

Researcher

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time

Pros

UCLA is a great institution to work for. They have world renowned professors and state of art labs. It's really great to work here

Cons

Not many cons working here. The one major problem I will it is the too much bureaucracy and politics. I wish they will just leave the scientist and engineers do their work without been bug down with politics.

It's a big school.

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In terms of academics, there are lots of talented, extremely well qualified professors who can change your life here. In terms of social culture, I can't speak too much to it because I was a transfer student who commuted to campus--I largely steered clear of frats, social clubs, etc. and just stuck to my own Los Angeles friends outside of school.

Cons

The campus is really large, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your needs. You have more options, but it's easier to get lost in the shuffle.

None.