UCLA
www.ucla.edu Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Loved the job itself, but the bureaucracy was out of control.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe daily work was interesting and inspiring.

ConsThere were more than a few times (many times, in fact) that my payment was not processed in a timely manner for whatever reason. Getting UCLA to move on fixing their error is a exercise in total futility.

It seemed that if they lost your payment or it got pushed to the side and forgotten about, UCLA would do absolutely zero to correct THEIR error. Getting it rectified was an absolute waste of breath and energy. Because it wasn't directly impacting those processing the money (they got paid that week, so they could pay their personal bills and buy groceries and get to work with gas in their tank), they seemed to not care at all that their mistake would take months (plural) to fix. In fact, people in other departments seemed afraid to call payroll/accounting to inquire or request any help when this type of situation would arise. It seemed to me to be a situation where everyone was held hostage.

Needless to say, this was a total drag about an otherwise pretty cool job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with this chain of impossible bureaucracy. People should be paid for the work they do in a way which sustains their daily living. I mean, that's why all of us work, right?

Good work-life balance, very bureaucratic, non-progressive corporate culture

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great Benefits (full heath, dental, vision, savings, pension, van pools,… Cons: Lack of advancement opportunity Few raises means wages stagnate Management not concerned… Advice to Senior Management: Be more open to new things, try to be more competitive with other universities and private… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Postdoc review

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

I have been working at UCLA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The UCLA campus is pleasant environment for the most part. Cons: Difficult to get things accomplished here sometimes Advice to Senior Management: Easier to find information regarding training and core facilities available More
There are newer reviews on UCLA.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UCLA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UCLA CEO Gene D. Block. All reviews posted anonymously by UCLA employees.