There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center

Postdocs are lousy positions anywhere

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

benefits are great, good pension

Cons

salary is lower than industry

pay postdocs more

92 Other Employee Reviews for UCSF Medical Center (View Most Recent)

UCSF ignores talent and promotes complacency.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

There are a lot of intelligent and nice people that work here. The benefits are in fact some of the best available.

Cons

It is bureaucratic in the worst sense of the word. There is absolutely no flexibility, or recognition of individual employees unique needs in the workplace. If you are a clinician, opportunities abound. However, if you are an admin asst or professional staff, you are stuck with absolutely--and I stress, absolutely--no opportunities for advancement, regardless of your talent.

Develop a formal system for staff to advance, including in-house certifications, benchmarks that are actually recognized. Stop determining who you are going to hire before a job is even posted, which is against policy, by the way.

A place to excell, but also a place of complacency...

Current Employee - Manager (functional Area)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager (functional Area) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

(1) Retirement benefits appear to be better than average. Though things may change in the future, we currently do not pay into what appears to be a very fair pension plan.
    (2) Depending on your position, the pay scale can be well above average. It certainly appears as such for the nursing staff.
    (3) Employee pool is very diverse. For someone interested in meeting people from a vast array of cultures, this is a good place to be.
    (4) Location. Public transportation is nearby, as well as a multitude of restaurants and shops.
    (5) Collegiality - when difficulty arises, you will always find someone who will help - it may not be many people, but there will be at least one.

Cons

(1) Unions - unions appear to hold much power over the majority of the positions. I think that UCSF holds the short end of the stick during salary negotiations and I fear that it could lead to negative times.
    (2) Weak management - there are several depts that appear to be in complete disarray and it stems from poor management. Yes, there are some really good managers, but some departments like Labor Relations and Purchasing need major reorganization.
    (3) Rush, rush, rush. This may be the worst characteristic of UCSF. Folks seem to always be in a rush to get something done. ....failing to plan is planning to fail...

Stop and REALLY listen to some of the comments regarding the Mission Bay Planning efforts. I've sat on many of the planning committees and very seldom are people happy with what they will be getting at Mission Bay. I think people are afraid to just come out and say it...but I'm more afraid that we are planning to build the next state of the art Medical facility that will not meet our future needs.

There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center

Worked for UCSF Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!