UCSF Medical Center

www.ucsfhealth.org
  www.ucsfhealth.org
There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center

I've never been so happy--or so frustrated

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

I find my job and the work I do very satisfying. I have learned so much working at an amazing hospital/campus that houses ground-breaking research and exceptional patient care. I am inspired each day.
UCSF is rated the second-best academic work setting in the country, according to a 2009 survey conducted by The Scientist magazine. It's two greatest strengths are employees’ overall job satisfaction and their relationships with their colleagues. I really enjoy working with my fellow colleagues, not only because they are geniuses, but because they have great personalities. They are both professional and very relaxed. Everyone has a great sense of humor. These are some the qualities that contribute to the intellectually stimulating and laid back atmosphere that I love so much. There is a reason why some people call UCSF "U Can Stay Forever"

Cons

I've received stellar performance reviews, but not a single raise. It seems like it doesn't matter that I'm doing exceptional work. My boss says I should get a raise, but apparently, her word doesn't carry much clout. Neither of us understand how the system works, and HR is more than happy to keep us in the dark. In fact, HR has been more of an obstacle than a resource. It's a bit disheartening. I have heard the same complaints from my friends--all of whom are incredibly bright, well-educated, and hardworking. On the flip side, some of my co-workers are either lazy or brainless, but they make more than me based off how many years they've had the job. I have no intention of leaving, I really do love my job. I'm just not sure I love my employer.
Also, there is too much job security. Once someone has maintained a position at UCSF for 6 months, they've earned "career employee" status. This means it is near impossible to get fired here, unless you punch someone in the face. This makes it safe for employees to perform poorly without any consequences. Perhaps this is the reason why UCSF was nicknamed "U Can Stay Forever."

HR seems useless. I think senior management needs to seize this poor economy as an opportunity to make positive changes to employee retention policies. What do they get paid to do anyway? They are the factor that sets UCSF back from being the perfect place to work. They make no effort to retain their best employees. You need to fairly compensate employees. Across the board low merit raises don't help with improving performance or morale. Raises need to be based more heavily on job performance and feedback from supervisors. HR needs make a genuine effort and and work more efficiently to process promotions, rather than making employees and supervisors jump through so many hoops.
Also, please rethink job security by firing incompetent staff. UCSF should be able terminate any employee with a poor performance record.

103 Other Employee Reviews for UCSF Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Pros & Cons of UCSF Medical Ctr

I worked at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Very cutting edge in medicine. Knowledgeable physicians. Experienced nurses. Serious about preventing a sentinel event. Very comprehensive benefit package. Benefit package premiums based on salary.

Cons

Since it's a large medical center, it is inefficient in its order writing process and redundant processes are a result. Difficult to understand all the benefits offered.

Management has favorites and appears to communicate to those that are their favorites. Therefore, the others are somewhat set up to stay at status quo.

Horrible

Current Employee - Analyst Supervisor
    Current Employee - Analyst Supervisor

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center

Pros

Location
    Great transportation system within the UCSF system
    Prestige if you're into that

Cons

Bureaucracy, ten fold
    UC is a place where those who enjoy bureaucracy go to live out their final working years
    What should be simplified tasks anywhere else are broken down into such minutia it will make your head spin or explode
    As a manager, you will be likely to take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back regularly.
    Tasks will feel like they are being repeated and tweaked until the life is sucked right out of them...and you. Be prepared.

Please do psychological testing on anyone taking an upper management position before offering it to them. I have a hunch that you lose some good employees because of these rogue personalities.

There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center