There are newer employer reviews for UCSF Medical Center

Love the people, can't stand the inefficient, unsafe, and wasteful way this place is run

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers. I really do love and appreciate the people I work with, everyone from my fellow RNs to the surgeons to the food service workers and transporters--they all make it a happy place for me to be. How many people get hugs and high-fives every single day?! Even if some angry patient barfs on me, I still couldn't have a bad day. I'm so lucky!

Cons

Chronic understaffing, executive administration that fails to recognize how they have actually incentivized departments to undermine the organization, nursing administration that is self-serving, too-large, and wasteful, lack of adequate policy and procedure undermining safe patient care, poor performing labor relations department that has led to staff distrust of the administration and strikes, lack of leadership development

Advice to Management

Overhaul administration and get skilled and authentic leaders. Inspire trust in employees, don't do things like create and try to enforce an attendance policy that directly conflicts with a bargaining agreement...that makes your employees believe that UCSF is run by liars.

Go back to having HR and labor relations as separate departments, it's not a good idea to have every little thing become a union issue, but because of this, it does. Send labor relations employees to the Harvard negotiation project or something like that, they get paid to sit around and contribute nothing but a sour expression...find some value for them to contribute if there is no conflict. As it is, if there is no conflict, they need to stir some conflict up to make their jobs appear to be necessary.

reviews filtered by
  1. Family oriented and very competitive

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UCSF Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very supportive and genuinely interested in seeing you grow within the organization.

Cons

Because it is a "government" job, there is more bureaucracy than I am use to.

Advice to Management

Perfect. Keep nurturing your employees and they will know that you care.

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UCSF Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone really helps you grow as a person, and they all motivate each other,

Cons

If you live far from San Francisco, the commute is not so great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and continue to motivate the employees you have.