A fun place to work

Former Employee - Project Management in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Project Management in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UMBC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome. There's a lot of freedom in designing one's teaching curriculum. Classrooms are being updated to include the latest technologies, which make it more pleasant for those of us who like to travel into a work area with as few extra materials as possible.

Cons

Pay is about average for government work. Parking can be costly or difficult to find because the school keeps taking out parking lots to put in new buildings. Scheduling classrooms to teach in can be extremely disheartening.

Other Employee Reviews for UMBC

1. Great experience in a supportive environment

Current Intern - Research Assistant
    Current Intern - Research Assistant

I have been working at UMBC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the chemistry department doing research with one of the professors. I have to say it was a great and enlightening experience to the world of chemistry. I absolutely loved doing it and we were constantly dealing with new, never before made materials.

Cons

The only down side is that this wasn't a paid position; but I think the experience gained is more than enough compensation.

2. Great place to work and study

I worked at UMBC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The University of Maryland Baltimore County has great, caring people, who really take the time to help students and fellow-employees in any they can.

Cons

Some of the Humanities departments struggle with budgetary concerns, as the main focuses of the school are the STEM departments.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job in spite of the focus on STEM. The Humanities and Arts are very well represented.