There are newer employer reviews for UMT

A bit better than the typical boutique consulting firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at UMT

Pros

Microsoft Partnership lends marketplace credibility

Cons

Limited progression if your interests are more than the Microsoft EPM space, including even with other EPM vendors

Advice to Management

Partners should broaden and deepen their industry and IT expertise.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Growing Firm with Great Opportunities

I have been working at UMT (More than a year)

Pros

UMT is a great place to work for those individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit that are motivated by the opportunity to solve complex problems for clients while being a part of a thriving consulting firm. For those with the desire to dream and the energy to do, the growth opportunities at UMT are unlimited. I worked for a large consulting firm prior to joining UMT and while I had a successful career projection, I was attracted to the endless possibilities that UMT offers its consultants in terms of client projects, innovation and entrepreneurship. There’s a saying that UMT is ‘small for the experience - big for the opportunities.’ I’ve found that UMT has a family-friendly culture with a close network of bright colleagues and yet works for several of the largest companies in the world in multiple industries. UMT’s corporate structure has an agility to it that lends itself to being able to recognize and reward hard work and excellence quickly, which other firms have a difficult time competing with. I have always wanted to work for a company that truly challenged me to reach my potential – at UMT I was given a lot of responsibility from the start but was also equipped with great resources to assist me in tackling the learning curve. To me, this is the perfect environment to challenge yourself to think outside the box, be resourceful and see what you can achieve. New ideas are respected and considered which fosters a true sense of teamwork as everyone has the opportunity to add value to the firm. Having worked in consulting for almost a decade now, I can honestly say that I have not come across a better firm to work for than UMT.

Cons

As the firm is in a significant growth phase right now, there are some growing pains as the leadership team manages the growth in client accounts as well as workforce. I think these growing pains are normal and average for a firm that is seeing such success.

2. Management Consulting is a reach...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at UMT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salaries can be good for consultants and the yearly meetings at HQ in Manhattan's Financial District can be fun, if for no other reason that it's Manhattan. Co-workers are usually very helpful.

Cons

After many years of focusing on Enterprise Program/Project Management tools, parts of which were sold to Microsoft, UMT decided to change focus to management consulting, while still trying to have a presence in EPM with their UMT 360 tool. If you have worked for or with some of the big management consulting firms, you know that they have (1) a training program and (2) a large library IP that consultants can refer to and apply to a client engagement. In many cases, the templates that had been provided were overwritten accidently because of the rudimentary library structure. While I was there, they barely had IP around EPM, let alone management consulting. There is also heavy focus on upselling, without guidance or strategy, just some Partner saying over and over 'you must meet with the C levels and ...' We had one Partner on an engagement that was so sales focused that the client told us (the consultants) that he was not welcome at meetings and if he showed up, they would cancel the meeting. It's hard to be successful in that kind of environment. Finally, salaries tend to be good, with nice bonuses. Health insurance is very expensive and HR support minimal.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Partners and VPs should be will to train the team and be onsite more, not just exhort them to upsell. Provide useful libraries so that consultants don't have to reinvent the wheel every time they do an engagement.