UMUC

There are newer employer reviews for UMUC

Administrative Assistant - UMUC Europe

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Adelphi, MD
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Adelphi, MD

I worked at UMUC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, and benefits. As I worked in UMUC Europe, I had the advantage of being able to travel a lot. UMUC Europe was fun to work for, until they relocated the headquarters office.

Cons

UMUC Europe is now located in K-town, it is not located in Heidelberg anymore. Location is not accessible with public transportation unless you have a car.

108 Other Employee Reviews for UMUC (View Most Recent)

Held back for speaking up

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Largo, MD
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Largo, MD

I have been working at UMUC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leave package is amazing. Eligible for state benefits if you are regular, however, they mostly hire at contingent. Monthly lectures with free lunch. On-site cafeteria.

Cons

Difficult to move up, they say they will hire internally but end up going externally which creates a huge learning curve for the new hire. Management is not hired based on experience in higher education from a non-profit perspective, but instead based on for-profit criteria and sales/marketing. Marketing is taking over the advising and not making it student focused. The institution uses the same failing techniques each year and the lower paid employees are suffering in the form of layoffs and contract non-renewals over the past few years.

Promote from within, these are the people that understand the ins and outs that an external candidate will not have. Take the time to actually develop your employees instead of just saying you will do it and making them sink or swim on their own. Force your senior leadership to actually have advanced degrees and do not allow them to continue making the same mistakes over and over again for the lower level employees to suffer.

Failing company, horrible management

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at UMUC full-time

Pros

Great vacation/time off. Get to become a state employee after 3 years.

Cons

Moral is so low! Micromanaged beyond belief, constant layoffs, not worth you time.

Treat us like the educated adults that we are. Learn to value your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for UMUC