UMass Medical School

There are newer employer reviews for UMass Medical School

negative experience working there

Current Employee - Instructor in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Instructor in Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a project driven environment in the medical school. You will learn a lot hands on skills for doing practical research. The team I have been work with is productive.

Cons

Don't expect too much independent time for doing your own research is you don't have your own funding. The pay is in the lower part of the market, given the living cost of Worcester is fairly high. Gym, cafeteria are terrible, benefits are so so.

56 Other Employee Reviews for UMass Medical School (View Most Recent)

Charlestown location is an unstable place to work

Former Employee - Associate II in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Associate II in Charlestown, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits vacations and really high starting salaries. Lots of perks like reduced insurance and cell phone plans and flexible work schedules.

Cons

This place operates on emotions and whether or not you are in the in crowd; Its worst than high school. There will be no career path or chance for advancement if they don't like you. The directors/managers are a tight knit group; they block you from moving to other departments by sharing their jaded opinions of staff with each other and basically blacklist you from other positions. This means if you are fed up with the way they treat you, your only recourse is the door. For this reason the turnover rate is high. I would not recommend anyone leave a stable position to work at UMMS. It is an extremely difficult place to navigate.

The Director’s have too much power and autonomy; they are a self governing community devoid of any consequences or repercussions for the actions they take against their staff. Together they pressure and intimidate the Executive Director and he does what they want. The powers that be in Worcester need to take a hard look at what goes on in Charlestown.

I've worked in a lot of great places. This wasn't one of them.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlestown, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a lot of vacation and sick time. There's a lot of nice people, but only if you find yourself in the right unit or department.

Cons

There's a very high turnover rate. It's unfriendly towards teamwork or group activities. Creativity is dead. There's very little opportunity for growth or advancement. And there's a level of discrimination towards race and gender that's somewhat apparent.

I wish that upper management and human resource would better scrutinize the abuse of workers by lower management. There's almost no protection for workers. If you're being railroaded neither HR or upper management would hear you out and will always side with their fellow managers. I've never though that unions were necessary until I've worked here.

There are newer employer reviews for UMass Medical School