UMass Medical School
www.umassmed.edu Worcester, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Charlestown location: An honest review...

Charlestown, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time for more than 5 years

ProsState employee benefits. Modern flexible schedule benefits. Good base salary. Accessible location. Free parking. Spacious accommodations. Good equipment and resources. Good balance of work to socialization. Eclectic staff. Important work is performed for an important organization. Most of the support staff are capable and responsive. Half of the leadership is excellent and competent.

ConsDisorganized cluster of programs who act like fiefdoms. Poor leadership. Poor Leadership to Employee communications. Culture changes frequently and without explanation. Blatant favoritism, intimidation, bullying. Popular opinion of under appreciation, poor staff utilization, and amateur management. Program staffers have become secondary to overpaid IT contractors who no one seems to know what they do or why they are present. Poor assistance from parent location.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove top down communications. Implement quarterly communications to the staff. Create an employee handbook. Perfect your on-boarding procedures. Review employee performance more often than at merit time. Shake up the stagnation. Review and audit the relevance of fringe positions and IT contractors. Encourage cross unit learning. Find ways to recognize and reward above-and-beyond performance.

Great scientific community, mentoring and communication needs improvement.

Research Associate I (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Cutting edge research. Great community of scientists. Cons: Communication and mentoring needs improvement. Care of shared and… Advice to Senior Management: Communication is key. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UMass Medical School

Pros: Good sense of collaboration and very research oriented Cons: I can't think of any More

There are newer reviews on UMass Medical School.

Worked for UMass Medical School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UMass Medical School reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UMass Medical School CEO Michael F. Collins. All reviews posted anonymously by UMass Medical School employees.