There are newer employer reviews for UMass Medical School

Really good place to work if you get the right manager/department

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Worcester, MA
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Worcester, MA

I worked at UMass Medical School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Known to offer Great compensation and benefits, the latest technology and the best of resources for its employees. There are really great health and retirement benefits.

Cons

There is the union that you have to deal with and HR appears to work for themselves. HR was very accommodating when I got hired and quite ruthless when my job got cut.

Advice to Management

none

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. innovative

I have been working at UMass Medical School

Pros

great place to work, relaxed environment with driven scientists

Cons

academia does not pay as well as industry

Lack of communication and favoritism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I have been working at UMass Medical School full-time

Pros

Lots of vacation time and paid holidays, on site parking, cafeteria in the building

Cons

Management does not communicate with its employees and the disconnect can lead to feelings of chaos, and a sense that they are disinterested in improving skills of employees and recognizing their success. I'll echo what other reviewers of this location have said and say that favoritism is rampant in this office. If you are not part of the 'in' crowd and constantly tell your boss what they want to hear then you are not going to move forward. There is only one annual review of employees by managers and vice versa which rarely offers constructive feedback. The office has no interest or intent on promoting from within which leads highly motivated and skilled employees to leave for greener pastures and the dead-weight employees that coast to stay here until pension time. The office does not offer any training programs or seminars to learn essential business skills. If you want to learn a technical program - that is crucial to your job - you have to pester a coworker to teach you on the side. If a manager wants to promote an employee, the employee must formally apply for the position and go through HR checks (which focus almost solely on tenure and an archaic pay structure) and an interview process (with their own boss about the job that they are already doing). This process wastes the employee's time, the manager's time, and the time of prospective candidates. All for the sake of show. It normally takes 3 months of wading through red tape before the process is over. Lastly, I work on a team of 6 people and our director has made 3 of my coworkers cry in the past 4 months and one of them quit.

Advice to Management

Try to recognize talent in your employees and nurture it! Don't whisper to each other about coworkers and laugh behind their backs. Listen to your workers - when every single person in the unit is giving you the same feedback there is probably something to it. Hypocrisy is not attractive and it does not promote a cohesive team. Oh, and don't make your employees cry and call them stupid.