UNC Chapel Hill

There are newer employer reviews for UNC Chapel Hill

Best School on the planet

Former Employee - Work Study in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Employee - Work Study in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at UNC Chapel Hill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved everything about this place
Great academic
Fun sporting events
Plenty of organizations on campus
Campus jobs offer good pay for students

Cons

You have to graduate at some point

100 Other Employee Reviews for UNC Chapel Hill (View Most Recent)

A word of advice for those considering the leap into Universities from Industry....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at UNC Chapel Hill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UNC Chapel Hill has a history of itegrity (we took a slight detour of late but only slight, the core is still solid) and teamwork. We are all in this together. The pace is quick enough to see progress but not so quick you need to see a doctor. At the University it is what you know, not what you drive that defines you. People are genuinely interested in you and your ideas.

Cons

Universities are complex organisms. Management is heavily dotted and matrixed. At first, those coming into the Univ new may think, "why do they do that?" But, I promise that if you look closely you'll find there were very good reasons; those reasons may no longer be valid but the logic was sound. We don't move quickly on anything. Think of it as a very large steamship. A correction made right now will only be seen a few miles down the way. If you are one that wants to see immediate results, this may not be the place for you. If you are in it for the long haul, you'll really enjoy it here.

Find a way to recognize people outside of the State Personnel System. It is far too limiting. Don't penalize those who work for good managers who want to recognize their people because others don't work for similar managers. Allow a few to be an example and drop the intense desire to have absolute equity across the organization (not giving one person an award because another wont be recognized by their manager). Develop a management track system for personnel that helps managers develop their people to be leaders of tomorrow. We have no succession planning here and that makes no sense.

Research Analyst

I have been working at UNC Chapel Hill part-time

Pros

I worked in the Department of Geophysical Sciences. It was very informative with flexible hours. The professor I worked with was highly intelligent and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes the work could get repetitive, but if you pursued other types of work it was readily available.

There are newer employer reviews for UNC Chapel Hill