UPMC

Beware the monopoly

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

large organization- can have variety in opprotunities

Cons

unresponsive management, do not adhere to employment laws concerning culural diversity. Management turns its head when there are legitimate issues affecting job performance of the direct care staff including nurses, assistants, social workers etc. Rather than address these problems, they promote policies that cause high staff turnovers and increased costs of healthcare.

Pay attention to what the "little" guys are telling you. Violating current laws can badly affect all levels of performance and management. When the direct care stff is sruggling to attempt to provide quality care and feel like they cannot do it because of policies, they tend to move on to other hospital systems or leave nursing/healthcare. This is the responsibility of the management at each hospital- if they are not sensitive to what is gong on, then they cannot manage the hospital. The violation of employment laws is a serious concern and working conditions for the nurses is frequently unsafe especially in outlying hospitals.

243 Other Employee Reviews for UPMC (View Most Recent)

UPMC, from a Temp perspective.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

I think that people that work for UPMC have a sense of pride. They go to work everyday and bust their back sides to do the best they can for everyone. If you were to walk into one of our hospitals, everyone is nice and willing to help you find where you need to be. Career opportunities are very good within the company. I know that employees are allowed to see listings before the public, and they get a 7 day lead on jobs. It is a good company to work for... as long as you're in the right department!

Cons

Communication isn't at the top of everyone's lists lately! I'd like to know who is gone. It should not be a secret. I also think that all of the UPMC "branches" should work together and not be as segregated as they seem to be. Compensation and benefits are dumb here. Considering we are working for a hospital, I think we should get good insurance... and everyone working should get it! I am busting my butt more than most, and I don't get ANY benefits, except for going to work EVERY day! You need to respect people in order to get respect.

Treat your employees with respect. They are the reason the company works. Don't reprimand your employee for answering personal phone calls, but then take at least 5 personal phone calls a day.

UPMC - Highly recommended as a place to work

Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

Well-run company exhibiting civic and community responsibility as well as responsible business practices.
    Despite focus on a single field (healthcare), successful efforts at diversification of business model including "exporting" healthcare models to other countries and developing health-related technology.
    Fair salaries and excellent benefits package including low-cost family health benefits, employee-assistance programs, health and wellness initiatives, and 403b along with cash-balance plans.
    If one is a physician, "back-office" functions are effectively and efficiently run, leading to higher reimbursements. These functions are rated among the highest in the country among academic medical centers.

Cons

Quite Oakland-centric and Presbyterian/Shadyside-centric; if you are an employee working in the surrounding community, the opportunities for recognition and career advancement are somewhat more limited.

Your heart is in the right place in terms of patient-care initiatives; however, you need to do a better job engaging and involving front-line staff. Is what you preach being practiced in front of patients on a daily basis?

There are newer employer reviews for UPMC