UPMC

UPMC - Highly recommended as a place to work

Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Physician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

Well-run company exhibiting civic and community responsibility as well as responsible business practices.
Despite focus on a single field (healthcare), successful efforts at diversification of business model including "exporting" healthcare models to other countries and developing health-related technology.
Fair salaries and excellent benefits package including low-cost family health benefits, employee-assistance programs, health and wellness initiatives, and 403b along with cash-balance plans.
If one is a physician, "back-office" functions are effectively and efficiently run, leading to higher reimbursements. These functions are rated among the highest in the country among academic medical centers.

Cons

Quite Oakland-centric and Presbyterian/Shadyside-centric; if you are an employee working in the surrounding community, the opportunities for recognition and career advancement are somewhat more limited.

Your heart is in the right place in terms of patient-care initiatives; however, you need to do a better job engaging and involving front-line staff. Is what you preach being practiced in front of patients on a daily basis?

244 Other Employee Reviews for UPMC (View Most Recent)

TO ALL THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE EMPLOYMENT WITH UPMC: I AM SYMPATHETIC FOR YOU! YOU ARE MISSING OUT :-)

Current Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/EKG in Braddock, PA
    Current Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/EKG in Braddock, PA

I have been working at UPMC

Pros

UPMC is a fanastic company and one of the most reputable places of employment! It ranks on the honor roll of hospitals for many years running and I believe that will forever be it continued. I am a young, responsible individual who recently was given a chance for experience in my newly graduated phlebtomy program at UPMC Braddock. I am very fortunate to have my foot in the door with such a respectful company like UPMC! It will set me up for the rest of my life! It's amazing to feel such pride and faith in the company you're affiliated with, it isn't hard for others to be jealous! I'm going to school for ultrasound technician in cardiac echoes as well and I am rest assured that I will have no problem obtaining a position with any of UPMC's magnificent facilities. It's not everyone's luxury to say they actually enjoy their work and whom they work with, but I happen to be one of the incredibly blessed ones to say I adore everybody in my department at UPMC -Braddock!

Cons

Working in the health field, it is a major plus if you are able to turn ANY negative into a positive, so therefore; with this question the only thing I can answer is that the only downside of working at UPMC is knowing that there's several thousand health care workers of OTHER companies who are deprived the privileges and pride of knowing they work for one of the nation's top health care providers-UPMC!

Keep up the fanastic work ethic and strengths to continue the tremendous growth UPMC has gained in the last few years alone!

Great Benefits, Horrible Communication, Too Much Power at Top

Former Employee - Web Communication Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Web Communication Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at UPMC

Pros

Great benefits - days off are called PTO (paid time off) and can be used either for sick time or vacation time. Our supervisors were generally very flexible when we asked to take time off. The ability to buy paid time off each year, the ability to carry over unused PTO and the low cost of medical/dental/vision benefits have me (kind of!) wishing I still worked at UPMC. Their benefits are seriously good. Did I mention the ability to earn PTO for simply donating blood to the Pittsburgh Blood Bank, on UPMC's time?

Cons

Lack of communication from superiors; Some employees are hired in plum positions based on promises or personalities, not experience, then prove disappointing; Questionable decisions such as the dismantling of the corporate communications Web team (are they regressing instead of progressing technologically?) that kept the Web site current and growing, at the same time the site was experiencing great demand from internal departments wishing to publicize the medical services offered; The president's right-hand woman has lots of influence but tends to base decisions on her like or dislike of employees, not evidence that the presented idea will or will not work or whether the proposed idea will benefit UPMC as a whole.

Keeping people in the dark regarding huge changes that will affect their jobs is quite a gamble. A lack of communication breeds paranoia, which in turn breeds dissatisfaction. Dismantling the corporate communications Web team only serves to hurt UPMC as a whole, especially as it was done gradually and without a plan to keep the Web site updated with current information. Pushing out a newly appointed chief communications officer because the president doesn't want too much change, though it was necessary, was an unwise decision. The lack of communication throughout the organization was very demoralizing and often frightening. Daily fears of being fired isn't a good way to keep employees from asking important questions about projects or the future of their department.

There are newer employer reviews for UPMC