UPS Freight

ltl.upsfreight.com
  ltl.upsfreight.com
There are newer employer reviews for UPS Freight

Overrated and under compensated.

Current Employee - Office Worker in Richfield, OH
Current Employee - Office Worker in Richfield, OH

I have been working at UPS Freight

Pros

Insurance. Employee discounts. Occasional free food.

Cons

Compensation is hardly worth the stress and constant correcting of mistakes by incompetent employees deemed untouchable due to seniority.

Compensate, promote office employees based on work performance, not seniority. We don't get union benefits, shouldn't get union style punishment.

141 Other Employee Reviews for UPS Freight (View Most Recent)

Autocratic management style who in most cases show little respect to the employees for the amount of work put forth.

Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UPS Freight

Pros

Great benefits at UPS WFF in louisville, ky: Pays for college in full with end of the semester bonuses and book reimbursements, 100% covered medical with dental, vision and life insurance, 401k and a UPS class A stock plan. Becoming a supervisor is fairly easy but moving up after that takes entirely to long. End of first year you get two weeks of vacation and after two years you get three weeks and two discretionary days off.

Cons

The list is to long to describe them all but the mains I will touch base with. There are typically only two reasons why people work their, the insurance and the paid college. The downside where I live and work is you have to work 3rd shift in order to get college paid for in full. You don't get very many hours, typically you get 3-4 hours a night which is reasonable for a full time college student. Pay starts off horribly at $8/hr but you get raises quick. Also for the first year you get no vacation and insurance (new union contract for new employees). The union sucks if you hard worker. Working hard has no merit on terms of lateral moves to another area, it is all based on seniority. So lazy worker with higher seniority will get a position over a hard worker. The main issue is the style of management, Management is very autocratic characterized by individual control over all decisions and little input from group members) and see things only through their eyes. They have no appreciation for the amount of work employees do and they tend to be very narrow sighted in terms of production and deadline, Workers are like work horses that clock in and hit the ground running doing a lot of work at a fast pace. This is not bad but once the smallest thing goes wrong upper management swarms in and has to make someone accountable regardless if the situation was just a just a natural human error that occurs from the large amount of work done. They lead by placing fear of punishment on employees instead of encouraging and motivating. There are quite a few more downsides but these are the ones that stand out to me after working there for the last four years. I MUST say that this is not the experience for all employees. I have heard some good experiences but most of what I hear is negative.

Where I work there are A LOT of workers that are working towards a college degree. Some are not that bright but there are some that are extremely intelligent and can give great input on matters related to work methods and ideas. So in other words get rid of the autocratic leaders ship and promote an organic environment. That is allow employees to be more involved in decisions of the daily operation and provide some employees with a sense of ownership in what they do. One of the most important things I would advise is to not lead through fear. When someone makes a honest mistake don't just to punishment first; instead look inward first to see if maybe the mistake was yours and then look outward to see if there are methods to solve that problem that don't involve punishment. This could be done by encouragement, incentives, willingness to teach, and just giving a warning.

Great company benefits, good pay, but turnover made job unpleasant.

Former Employee - Part Time Operations Supervisor in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Operations Supervisor in Blaine, MN

I worked at UPS Freight

Pros

The health insurance was incredible and I wish I still had it, especially due to health problems that I have now. The pay was also pretty good.

Cons

I think that after a while there it is easy to feel that you are undervalued. I never had any problems with the people I worked with, but I did realize the environment was not somewhere I wanted to be long term. The job moves as fast as the drivers on the road. Weather permitting.

Oh I don't really know what advice to give. They (management) are often the people that have been in the company since they were like 18, so they don't really have a lot of experience outside of it. They get screwed around just like employees below them, but they are also complicit in the lack of communication and confusion that exists when you are trying to learn and do your job.

There are newer employer reviews for UPS Freight