There are newer employer reviews for UPS

FUN, no gym membership needed!

Former Contractor - Driver Helper in Saint George, UT
Former Contractor - Driver Helper in Saint George, UT

I worked at UPS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Active, Fast paced, fun, never a dull moment

Cons

weather sometimes stinks, subject to injury

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Programmer Analyst

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at UPS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and work environment

Cons

fast paced work environment and sometimes stressful

Short-term position for holiday with no long-term potential or career growth

Former Contractor - Part Time Package Handler in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Part Time Package Handler in Cleveland, OH

I worked at UPS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience was relatively positive because I was assigned to a great driver who subsequently requested me each day for work and gave me some consistency. Your overall experience as a part-time delivery assistant, who accompanies the driver and delivers packages to homes and businesses during the Christmas season, will largely depend on your driver's personality and work style, and your customers' attitudes. My driver, a 20+ experieneced veteran, treated me with respect, patience, and was jovial as he could be given the hectic holiday season and the aloof management.

Cons

As a company as a whole, I was a cog in a system. Scheduling is very precarious. You are instructed to call every weekday at 8-10a to see if there's any work for you. Numerous times, I called and they did not know whether they would not need me another hour or 2 later. Your hours are set by corporate and your driver has no influence or discretion for your schedule. I felt sympathy for my full-time driver: the quotas for full-time drivers seemed quite illogical and even my driver, with 20 years experience could not see the rationality of the quotas and expected workflow given to him by management. My driver couldn't understand either why my hours would fluctuate so much and that they did not appear consistent with the amount of packages he received. I tend to believe this is indicative of the overall UPS system, rather than my driver, who was respected and trusted by his regular delivery customers for 20+ years. Do not expect any long time positions or other job leads to arise out of this position. Also, because the hours on this position vary greatly and without any consistency or predictability, do not expect to work another job with this one unless you can set your own hours there and call off with no notice there. If you're relatively healthy, can handle carrying large and heavy packages, and endure working all types of weather (especially in the winter) without any career growth or expectation of learning any tangible skills, this is an option if you're looking for holiday cash.

Advice to Management

Upper management: work in the field, deliver packages every day for several months. Only then, you'll realize that your formuals and insights are not very relevant on the ground. Most importantly, communication between the loaders and drivers needs to be improved. My driver had to spend over an hour each day and tons of aggrevation because the loaders would arrange packages on the truck in a