URS Corporation

www.aecom.com
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

Interesting projects, good people, but you're on your own

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Projects worked on were interesting and varied in duration. Good people with a wide range of knowledge. Good policies & procedures and training program (mostly online). Ethical company. Good benefits consistent with peer companies.

Cons

People are more into their own thing and aren't particularly sociable. When a project ends, and there is not enough work to get you going on the next one right away, it is primarily up to you to find more work within the office or with other offices. Little effort spent to help you find work with another group, even though the work may not be the best fit with your skills.

Interact more with staff to make it a little more familial, foster more collaborative atmosphere with less "siloing" among the various group. This would help bill ability and hopefully profitability.

698 Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation (View Most Recent)

Process Engineer

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineering design experience. 40 hour work week most of the time

Cons

No recognition for excellence. I have been a top contributor for last 3 years and received two 2% raises and one 4% raise. Most don't get annual raises. I received my PE license at the "strong" encouragement of my manager and never received the raise I was promised. To be fair to my manager, it was upper management that said no. They wouldn't even pay for my PE stamp ($40) but asked me to use it on behalf of the company. Doesn't get much more insulting than that. Very poor benefits. No sick time or bereavement. No bonuses. I have a PE license and 11 years experience but stuck in a job classification that only required 4 years experience. If an employee is within 10% of the middle pay range for a job classification, then employee can only receive 2-4% raise regardless of performance. Did I mention my performance reviews listed me as a top contibutor. Managers can only classify10% of their employees as top contributors. They hold employees down to keep costs down. There are employees here that make less than the minimum of their job classification. Exactly how does that happen??? We've lost several good engineers and they're about to lose another. I'm currently searching for a new job.

Take care of your employees or they will leave.

Great PR during interview process. Not so much after that....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Leased a really nice office suite strategically placed beside a gas driller in Pittsburgh. (URS has since closed the office)

Cons

Opened an office, didn't staff it, didn't fund it and eventually closed it after luring me out of a permanent job with promises of a new and growing office. I left after 8 weeks of staring at an empty office. I had to bring my own garbage can and coffee pot. Terrible. Biggest mistake I've made in a 25yr. career. Fell for a huge bait-and-switch.

Had some interesting benefits that other companies typically don't (pet insurance, etc.). However, the employer contribution to the real benefits was almost nil. Much like working for a temp agency where the costs are almost all paid by the employee. Company of this size should be able to find a health insurance plan for their employees that doesn't have a $5000 deductible, cover no prescriptions and still cost $600/mo. Shameful.

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation