URS Corporation

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

Great Opportunities and Teamwork

Former Employee - Construction Engineer
Former Employee - Construction Engineer

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A wide range of job opportunities, locations and career paths. Very strong team environment. Good benefits and compensation. Can work long hours but work is satisfying.

Cons

Very large corporate company. Not much of a mentorship program and tough to stay connected if working in the field.

711 Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation (View Most Recent)

Don't Plan On A Career Here

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, particularly for younger engineers and staff. Interesting and big projects, in some offices. Lots of resources. Decent compensation, commensurate with industry. As long as you're billable, you're OK!

Cons

Benefits, company-wide and in the office, were steadily decreased over my 5 years, all to save money.

Annual reviews are only for show-and-tell, so Management can say they do them to new hires. You'll soon find out they have no real relevance or connection to job performance, compensation, or promotion.

Career paths are a joke. The only promotions are for people that can bring in new work. You can get promoted to Management if you're a good talker or have a good golf game. Great incubator for the Peter Principal!

The URS Project Manager Certification program is a joke. Anyone and everyone is a PM sooner or later. Too many wanna' be managers, not enough workers.

Management has a "Job Shop" mentality. Hire and fire the help at will, as needed!. Don't plan on a career here. You'll be let go as soon as you're unbillable for a few days! No work sharing among offices. Plenty of work in one office; layoffs in another. Expect to be asked to use sick time and vacation to keep you're job, even though you'll still be let go when its used up. This is also against company policy, but Management turns a blind eye when going against policy benefits the bottom line!

Management talks big to employees about ethics and proper billing for payroll, particularly for Federal work and fear of Federal audits, knows better what the employees are asked to do to keep their jobs!

NOT a "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

URS does offer decent benefits.

Cons

*URS is very top heavy in management, but when layoffs come around, the little people get cut. This coincides with the mentality and culture of overworking the staff who basically processes everything that keeps the company running. Management claims that it’s all about quality work, but in reality they just want their reports to look good. As long as the report looks good (which makes management look good), it doesn’t matter what it takes to get there.

*‘The 30 year mark of death’: It’s a clear observed pattern that when employees reach 30 years, your targeted for the next round of layoffs. To make matters worse, they tell that you are eligible to apply for other open positions, BUT in reality they will never re-hire you. This is a known fact around the office, and stated multiple times in other reviews. URS would rather hire someone who doesn’t even know what a document number is than keep valued, loyal employee. WHY? Because it’s cheaper and URS holds no loyalty to its employees. We are work horses, and when they are done with you they chuck you to the curb.

*Communication is abysmal.

*Politics, politics, politics—it’s all about who you socialize with not the quality of your work you do.

*Oh, and if that’s not enough, URS just got bought out. NOTHING is certain now. And of course, nothing is communicated properly to the people this affects the most.

*Step out of your office and communicate with your employees and stop looking at all of your reports. Also learn and maybe even understand what your employees do on a daily basis. We’re not number, we’re people. Start truly appreciating us.

*Your “Great Place to Work” program is laughable. We are ALL aware that this program is bogus and only a media tool used to recruit new, naive employees and show competitors how much “we love working at URS”. The culture of URS does not in anyway shape or form internally convey that this is a great place to work.

*You can’t boost moral by bringing in food once a quarter. Is it that hard to genuinely say thank you on a daily basis or take time away from your reports to recognize hard work? Further, why is admitting that your wrong so difficult to do? I’m pretty sure everyone learned to say ‘I’m sorry’ or ‘I made a mistake’ at some point. Apparently, every single team lead or any person in a management position has conveniently forgotten the sentiment, or is too high and mighty to just admit fault.

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation