There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

Great Opportunities and Teamwork

Former Employee - Construction Engineer
Former Employee - Construction Engineer

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A wide range of job opportunities, locations and career paths. Very strong team environment. Good benefits and compensation. Can work long hours but work is satisfying.

Cons

Very large corporate company. Not much of a mentorship program and tough to stay connected if working in the field.

reviews filtered by

NOT a "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

URS does offer decent benefits.

Cons

*URS is very top heavy in management, but when layoffs come around, the little people get cut. This coincides with the mentality and culture of overworking the staff who basically processes everything that keeps the company running. Management claims that it’s all about quality work, but in reality they just want their reports to look good. As long as the report looks good (which makes management look good), it doesn’t matter what it takes to get there.

*‘The 30 year mark of death’: It’s a clear observed pattern that when employees reach 30 years, your targeted for the next round of layoffs. To make matters worse, they tell that you are eligible to apply for other open positions, BUT in reality they will never re-hire you. This is a known fact around the office, and stated multiple times in other reviews. URS would rather hire someone who doesn’t even know what a document number is than keep valued, loyal employee. WHY? Because it’s cheaper and URS holds no loyalty to its employees. We are work horses, and when they are done with you they chuck you to the curb.

*Communication is abysmal.

*Politics, politics, politics—it’s all about who you socialize with not the quality of your work you do.

*Oh, and if that’s not enough, URS just got bought out. NOTHING is certain now. And of course, nothing is communicated properly to the people this affects the most.

Advice to Management

*Step out of your office and communicate with your employees and stop looking at all of your reports. Also learn and maybe even understand what your employees do on a daily basis. We’re not number, we’re people. Start truly appreciating us.

*Your “Great Place to Work” program is laughable. We are ALL aware that this program is bogus and only a media tool used to recruit new, naive employees and show competitors how much “we love working at URS”. The culture of URS does not in anyway shape or form internally convey that this is a great place to work.

*You can’t boost moral by bringing in food once a quarter. Is it that hard to genuinely say thank you on a daily basis or take time away from your reports to recognize hard work? Further, why is admitting that your wrong so difficult to do? I’m pretty sure everyone learned to say ‘I’m sorry’ or ‘I made a mistake’ at some point. Apparently, every single team lead or any person in a management position has conveniently forgotten the sentiment, or is too high and mighty to just admit fault.

2. Worst technical leadership in Cleveland.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes interesting work, if you are in with your manager.

Cons

Terrible technical leadership. If you want to work for a good old boys group, sign up. If you don't play golf, watch out.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you hire.

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation