URS Corporation, an AECOM company

www.urs.com
  www.urs.com
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation, an AECOM company

URS - "The best work of your life"

Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

URS is a large firm; it can keep you busy on a project even if your region is slow. Getting the offices to share work is another issue.. Additionally URS does win interesting projects; your resume will be full of interesting gems within a few years (if the economy is doing well).

Cons

Unfortunately URS, like any other corporation, has fat that it can trim. The recent downturn has cleaned out much of it. But they haven't substantially addressed the internal procedures. It still forces each office, or profit center, to compete with the other.

If each office continues to only worry about how profitable it is, relationships will be strained between offices. I've worked at a few different URS offices and I can say that management at each office is always concerned with another office doing work for them, sending inept employs to work on a project, etc..

671 Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation, an AECOM company (View Most Recent)

Good beginning for recent grads...

Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

1) Management communicates frequently with their staff

2) The different departments (i.e. Engineering, Environmental Sci., Hydrology etc) work frequently together, but also can work independently if necessary. It's compartmentalized...but it really doesn't feel that way.

Cons

1) ArcGIS licenses. The company is clearly trying to save money on software. Almost everyone needs an ArcMAP license to perform their work (i.e. not JUST the GIS gurus). This is the world of digital information, and it's an important thing to share that information accordingly (not to mention annoying trying to use the license when there are too many doing the same thing).

2) HR is a bit of a bother.

1) ArcGIS Licenses for all major planning departments (i.e. Hydro, Environmental Sci/Planning, etc). Adobe wouldn't hurt to have either (making clean looking documents in Word is also a bit of a bother).

Environmental Scientist for URS

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Dublin, OH

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

When diagnosed with cancer 3 years into my job at URS both management and my coworkers couldn't have been more helpful. Over 400 hours of vacation time was donated to me, a nap room was set up in a conference room, and I was aloud to wear what ever I wanted even if it was my pjs=)

Cons

Right now we don't have lot of consistant leadership with in our office. We have managers that fly in for a week and leave and we won't see them for a few months.

Find good leaders and keep them. Don't have managers that manage too many offices to get anything done. A dedicated office manager at each office would be idea.

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation, an AECOM company