URS Corporation, an AECOM company

No job is perfect.

Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Austin, TX

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

I like working for URS because they are a large company that can bid on big, complex (& therefore interesting) projects. They are open to allowing transfers between offices, & they have offices all over the world. They offer same-sex (& opposite-sex) domestic partnership benefits that are as close to equal to the benefits offered to married couples as the company can make them. I believe that we perform science and engineering projects to a high degree of skill and professionalism.

Cons

This company is not really a single, unified company - it is a patchwork of competing fiefdoms. This leads to really aggravating complications when trying to do work with other offices. The corporate culture varies wildly from office to office. There is a growing amount of bureaucracy - approvals to bid on work, H&S paperwork that never, ever ends.... just lots of forms.

If we're making profits, why aren't we all getting raises? It's galling in the extreme to read about our profitability and then receive a minimal cost-of-living salary increase. I work hard - pay me appropriately.

671 Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation, an AECOM company (View Most Recent)

I don't recommend it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

I worked at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

Not all URS is this bad. It is a good way to get your feet wet.

Cons

There is a huge difference between the concept of1) human capital and2) human cattle. This section of URS don't understand the 1st concept, and is more than willing to treat employees like the second. Training is non-existent. Prior military experience is more important than any qualification. (I suspect those with previous military experience are paid more also.) YOu are literally thrown into the job and expected to sink or swin.

If you start treating employees as an asset rather than a consumable, there would be less turn-over. The job wold be done far better. Moral would be better.

Work-life flexibility and good coworkers is all that keeps me there

Current Employee - Senior Geologist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Geologist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Pros

Lots of different types of projects
    Good coworkers on the project team level
    Accommodating of work-life requests (part-time etc)
    Well-known company

Cons

Poor pay compared to competitors
    Weak benefits package that costs employees a lot
    Essentially no raises, even with "promotions" and stellar performance reviews
    Senior management doesn't care about employees or, it seems, even clients, only shareholders
    No professional support
    Ridiculously backward IT that limits productivity; no corporate support for what we actually DO (e.g. no reference resources such as journal subscriptions), which is theoretically research and "the knowledge economy"
    Excessive and ever-expanding bureaucracy, which costs so much we become uncompetitive in bidding for jobs

Invest in your employees and provide support for them and the work they are trying to do. Give them the IT infrastructure they need to do the job. Give them the other resources to carry out the job. Pay them as if you value them. Give them opportunities for professional advancement. Allow technical experts to progress in their careers - not everyone should have to be a manager just to get a raise.

There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation, an AECOM company