There are newer employer reviews for URS

Interesting projects, good people, but you're on your own

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at URS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Projects worked on were interesting and varied in duration. Good people with a wide range of knowledge. Good policies & procedures and training program (mostly online). Ethical company. Good benefits consistent with peer companies.

Cons

People are more into their own thing and aren't particularly sociable. When a project ends, and there is not enough work to get you going on the next one right away, it is primarily up to you to find more work within the office or with other offices. Little effort spent to help you find work with another group, even though the work may not be the best fit with your skills.

Interact more with staff to make it a little more familial, foster more collaborative atmosphere with less "siloing" among the various group. This would help bill ability and hopefully profitability.

592 Other Employee Reviews for URS (View Most Recent)

Flexible hours, but oppressive management structure.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at URS full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to make my own schedules, and as long as I was 100% billable, nobody bothered me.

Cons

I had to take on projects and tasks that weren't really my role in order to stay billable. I never had an issue with billability, but I saw my coworkers suffer. They were often forced to take furlough days or pay cuts or reduce hours in order to make Senior Management happy. It resulted in extremely high turnover.

Stop treating your employees like they are a cog in the wheel.

Process Engineer

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at URS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good engineering design experience. 40 hour work week most of the time

Cons

No recognition for excellence. I have been a top contributor for last 3 years and received two 2% raises and one 4% raise. Most don't get annual raises. I received my PE license at the "strong" encouragement of my manager and never received the raise I was promised. To be fair to my manager, it was upper management that said no. They wouldn't even pay for my PE stamp ($40) but asked me to use it on behalf of the company. Doesn't get much more insulting than that. Very poor benefits. No sick time or bereavement. No bonuses. I have a PE license and 11 years experience but stuck in a job classification that only required 4 years experience. If an employee is within 10% of the middle pay range for a job classification, then employee can only receive 2-4% raise regardless of performance. Did I mention my performance reviews listed me as a top contibutor. Managers can only classify10% of their employees as top contributors. They hold employees down to keep costs down. There are employees here that make less than the minimum of their job classification. Exactly how does that happen??? We've lost several good engineers and they're about to lose another. I'm currently searching for a new job.

Take care of your employees or they will leave.

There are newer employer reviews for URS

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!