Right Down The Middle

Former Employee - Lidar/GIS Analyst  in  Gaithersburg, MD
Former Employee - Lidar/GIS Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at URS full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with great teammates and supportive middle management all of whom helped me get acquainted with project managers and find work to keep my billable hours up. Diverse projects with the opportunity to become skilled in many different areas such as GIS, Lidar, Water Resources, etc. Decent benefits other than salary. Fun team building activites along with recognition of personal events/accomplishments like weddings, births, and educational degrees through office social gatherings.

Cons

There was way too much emphasis on becoming a project manager. It seemed like half of the company was in project management or training for it. Too much emphasis on billable hours with the need for the employee to network for those amongst the numerous project managers. Although I left for another opportunity and have regretted that at times, URS seemingly holds a grudge against anyone who ever tries to re-enter the company. Sometimes good employees make a mistake by leaving and should be given another chance when the opportunity is there. It would have been nice to had the option to think about going back especially since I took pains to leave on good terms.

There is no easy answer because I felt that I had a decent supervisor and upper management although somewhat disconnected was always polite. I would put less emphasis on billable hours and have more employee training during slow times which may move the staff away from some of the mindless production work that is prominent. Please allow some former talent to come back when the opportunity presents itself and do not hold grudges because it makes the company look very small. Ditch the project manager overkill. URS could be a great place to work with a few tweaks here and there along with a clearer path to promotion which may prevent it from being such a transitional place.

Other Reviews for URS

Seek employment elsewhere

Current Employee - Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at URS full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Can't think of too many.

Cons

Pay is substantially lower than someone of my qualifications should have. Been at URS 2 years and have seen no increase in pay or even any indication one is in the near future. Constantly ignored by superiors when i send emails regarding the job or what the outlook on career is. I receive emails every day needing a favor or task to be completed but when i email them i am ignored. Management is too worried about stock price and making money that they disregard their employees

I would say half of the people i work under actually deserve the job they have, maybe even less than half. Stop worrying about shareholders so much and worry about employees. An unhappy employee results in poor work performance (we work as hard as we get paid).

Best and Worst of the industry

I worked at URS full-time

Pros

Some of the best and brightest in the engineering/consulting field
    Local offices tend to work together for a common goal

Cons

Poor cooperation between offices and profit centers, Too much inside competition.
    Upper management doesn't honor commitments to employees or customers.

Set positive examples, don't lie.

There are newer employer reviews for URS.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!