Great place to work if you are close to retirement.

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator
Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator

I worked at URS as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I would say the pros are they have tuition reimbursement available and they won't have you doing anything outside of your job description without paying you for it. I think it is a great place to work close to retirement because work in minimal. At another place you may do the job of 3 or 4 people at this one you will only do one aspect of that job.

Cons

The downside is it is very difficult to learn new things outside of your job because they won't allow you to. The company is huge with tons of opportunities but I personally don't think they prepare you for those opportunities.

Try to make sure each site is actually utilizing all of the wonderful practices you have in place.

Other Reviews for URS

Great Opportunities Depend on your geographical location and business line

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at URS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting out this was a fantastic job - really exciting and interesting project work, travel for job assign,nets is voluntary and depends on the team you are in... My group had international projects and I was all for participating on the most interesting jobs and enjoyed the travel, but others that were not interested we're not forced if they could stay billable enough at the home office.

Cons

Your experience will depend entirely upon your business line and location. URS has an archaic business model that basis profit off of geographical profit centers and then location. As such, don't expect to work with other offices unless a special connection has been forged, and don't even expect to work with other groups inside your own office. Don't expect any training or real development unless your billable job requires it. Project managers end up being people managers. Feast and famine are based upon billability, but that's the nature of consulting.

Provide your managers with training and be more proactive when it comes to retention of valued employees.

Former Corp IT

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at URS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Direct exposure to a lot of different technology.

Cons

IT Leadership is basically non-existent. No clear IT path exists and the direction, or lack of direction, depends on who is the favorite pet of the month. All managers have an ego and the group has too many chiefs who are more interested in their own Ego over getting anything done.

Retire and allow new blood to take over.

There are newer employer reviews for URS.

Worked for URS? Contribute to the Community!