US Agricultural Research Service

There are newer employer reviews for US Agricultural Research Service

It's what you make it

Current Employee - Agricultural Marketing Specialist in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Agricultural Marketing Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Agricultural Research Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At USDA, you get to work on projects that affect consumers, producers and businesses nationwide and potentially around the world.
You get to work with all kinds of people in the public and private sectors.
The work is usually low stress. There are ample opportunities for telework, flexible work schedules, and do it yourself, on the job training.

Cons

There are three broad categories of USDA employees:
1) the ones who have been here since college, learned to schmooze and network into a good old boy or good new girl buddy system and get promoted quickly and often.
2) the ones who have been here since college, and didn't learn to schmooze, got bullied instead of buddied, avoid eye contact and stare at the floor when walking down the hall, counting the days to retirement.
3) the rest of us who did something else for 10, 15 or 20 more years before moving into the federal service, and nobody seems to know what to make of us because we think of new ways to do things, or question why we need to do something in the first place if it doesn't seem to have a reason other than "always did it that way." Cultural transformation means you won't have much luck getting promoted if you are not in a desirable social / ethnic category.

Retire, and make room for new blood and new ideas.

155 Other Employee Reviews for US Agricultural Research Service (View Most Recent)

Very Challenging Environment if you are a person of color and not a political appointee

Current Employee - Division Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Division Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Agricultural Research Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very important and relevant subject matter. Food issues have an impact on us all!

Cons

They think it's okay to resolve EEO grievances by giving promotions "Greive a Grade" is not the way to deal with the problem.

"Culural Transformation" really has to be put into action by senior leadership, not just part of a lawsuit settlement based on the Sherrod situation. If you are going to talk the talk, you are going to have to walk it as well.

Effective research opportunity for temporary student position

Former Employee - Physical Science Technician in Albany, CA
    Former Employee - Physical Science Technician in Albany, CA

I worked at US Agricultural Research Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, opportunity to work with many different research units, participated in various projects. Great Federal Pay for students

Cons

Sometimes did not have enough work to occupy day.

There are newer employer reviews for US Agricultural Research Service