US Air Force

www.af.mil

There is no truer purpose than supporting your country

Pros

I have had the great privilege of working side by side with some of the greatest people. There are numerous opportunities to learn different careers as well as exceed any potential that I had and some that I did not realize I had in myself. Most supervisory level people only want to see you exceed and will work as hard as you do, sometimes harder, to see you attain your goals. The only ceiling for advancement, is the ceiling that you build over yourself.

Cons

I have had the best commanders and the worst commanders. When you have those commanders who believe in their people, and they out weigh the others, there is nothing that you know that you can't accomplish. Unfortunately, when you get the other commander, it will almost make you want to give up at times and wait their time out. It seems that the one rule that stands the test of time, is that the more a commander messes up, the quicker they move up.

Mentorship programs are slowly beginning to establish themselves within the military. I have greater hope for the future professionals that ascend the ranks based on this change in culture. I hope that it will not be a passing phase that sees and end soon. The one other area that I think should be highly invested in all levels of leadership, down to the lowest member, is the art of facilitation. With everyone trying to develop new ideas and streamline processes, this would bring huge dividends in the long run.

Other reviews for US Air Force

The Air Force is a great opportunity to learn a technical trade and earn money for college (for you or your family).

Pros

The Air Force has lots of great benefits such as: college tuition, tuition assistance, travel, demanding and yet rewarding lifestyle.

Cons

The Air Force also has some negatives obviously associated with the military: some possible deployments, year long remote assignments without your family members.

Great Service

Pros

Great place to work. Definitely a meritocracy, with plenty of opportunities for advancement. Great opportunities to learn skills applicable to the civilian work force. Most importantly, a great way to serve your country.

Cons

A very large service, with all of the negatives of a large bureaucracy. The Air Force often has an identity crisis...not sure if it wants to be a military service with a warrior culture or to be more like a civilian organization.

Focus on the warrior culture and don't be so risk-averse.

There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force.

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!