There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force

I've always been proud to wear the uniform!

Current Employee - Operations Superintendent  in  Peterson AFB, CO
Current Employee - Operations Superintendent in Peterson AFB, CO

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Great benefits package, compensation (depending on job specialty) can be close to other industries but again, that's VERY dependent on job specialty. Chances for promotion and recognition can be great, depending on quality of people who are your supervisors. Worldwide locations for work and opportunites for travel. Frequently on cutting-edge of technologies. Frequent opportunities for employer-provided training and professional certifications, again depending on job specialty.

Cons

Behaviors which might get you fired at other companies can get you sent to jail in the military (late/absent from work, talking back to bosses, bouncing a check, etc.). Frequently have little to no choice in work location, some locations are in active combat zones or isolated locations with no local comunity support. Expect to be away from home & family about 6 months out of every two years at best, 3 months home/3 months gone is not the worst I've seen.

Never forget you are dependant upon the people you supervise - a commander's/supervisor's primary responsibility is to make sure his/her people are able to do THEIR jobs (training, morale, health, equipment, time, etc.).

4072 Other Employee Reviews for US Air Force (View Most Recent)

Best 21 years of my life!

Current Employee - Aircrew Flight Equipment Instructor  in  Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Aircrew Flight Equipment Instructor in Abilene, TX

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

I saw the world, made lots of money, earned many degrees and learned lots of different skills while in the Air Force. I worked with many fine people, learned how to be professional and picked up all the right "soft skills" a person needs to make it in the world. Joining the Air Force was the best choice I ever made.

Cons

If you do not like your supervisor, just wait a year or so and one of you will move on. The one major negative I have is that you are at the mercy of the Air Force when it comes to deploying (leaving your family to go to war).

Let supervisors make the right decision at their level, stop undermining the EPR system by having to prove why a person is not a 5.

Very rewarding!

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Air Force

Pros

Benefits, personal/professional growth, learning how to follow/lead, adaptability, leadership style

Cons

too many changes, too many cuts too fast, too individual self-stating because of past manning cuts

The Air Force must provide and effective AF training plan to re-focus individuals on what's important to sustain the force; training, technical and continued professional development unconditionally.

There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force

Worked for US Air Force? Contribute to the Community!