There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force

One experience in a million

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a freshly minted 2nd Lieutenant and college graduate, I was given more responsibility than any of my peers who went a civilian route. I had the luxury of working in a culture dedicated to service above self.

Cons

The air force, especially if you're living in high cost areas such as Los Angeles and Washington, DC, pays very well initially. Unfortunately, relative pay raises decrease as you become more and more senior.

4175 Other Employee Reviews for US Air Force (View Most Recent)

Great experience

Former Employee - Airborne Surveillance Technician On AWACS in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay, benefits, incentives, travel, change of careers if desired, comradere, experience in various levels without having to have a degree, competition in fun events, social aspects of the military, get to have a second family, allow for school time in the evening (depending on your current situation) and they pay for school, if you're interested in another branch they have programs to help you transition to that branch without losing rank, free wills/legal services,

Cons

You have to wait specific time frames to be able to change jobs (it's understandable though if you think about it), you can't get promoted earlier than normal testing times even if you're already excelling and doing the higher ranks job, lots of mandatory things to attend but that is also understandable, really that's it - you're going to have the same political/relational issues at any job you go to so - this wasn't any different in that regard other than I became better friends with people in the military than I ever did with other jobs.

Every rank higher than you is different and manages differently. Most of the "big items" come from the higher ups in the government and there's not advice I would try to give them.

AF

Current Employee - Air Force Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Air Force Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Air Force is a great place to work!

Cons

You might have to move away from home for an extended period of time.

There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force