US Air Force

Traditional Air Force culture is changing

Current Employee - Senior Officer in Colorado Springs, CO
Current Employee - Senior Officer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top quality work force, good pay and health benefits, people who focus on continuously improving themselves and their organization will be rewarded with promotions and highly desirable duty locations.

Cons

After several years of government civilian and contractor cuts, the military members are now experiencing severe cuts in many career fields and left the overall morale of the force the lowest it has been in years. After pledging to make one-year of deep cuts to minimize the level of amount of stress the force would have to endure, Air Force leadership recently announced a second round of presonnel cuts will be required.

After years of doing 'more with less' the perceived expectation of leadership at the base, command and headquarters level is that few have the morale courage to make the really tough choices on how to save money. The obvious answer is to avoid general across-the-board budget cuts and halt procurement of new weapon systems until federal budget funding stabilizes.

4464 Other Employee Reviews for US Air Force (View Most Recent)

You get out of it....what you put into it.

Current Employee - Enlisted Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Enlisted Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Times are tough all over and that includes the Air Force. However there are opportunities a plenty and for someone with drive, passion, and a whole lot energy the doors will be opened. Some locations and bosses are better than others, but the name of the game is persistence and so for those who don't give up....they are rewarded.

Cons

Sacrificing is not just a word we use, its something we must do everyday.....that means sacrificing in every aspect of your life (i.e. time, family, personal goals, etc...).

The key to long-term success in the Air Force is balancing between work and life. The times that one must sacrifice...then sacrifice; but other times take care of oneself and family.

Opportunities are only limited by you.

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Superintendent in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Superintendent in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Air Force has provided training and experience no other occupation could touch. Best decision I have every made.

Cons

You must be willing to go where and when you are needed.

Management is ultimately the President of the United States and Congress. I would like to say we are all in good hands, but cannot. At least things move through our government so slow it is difficult for any one person or administration to do permanent damage (although several have given it a good college try).

There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force