There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force

Traditional Air Force culture is changing

Current Employee - Senior Officer in Colorado Springs, CO
Current Employee - Senior Officer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top quality work force, good pay and health benefits, people who focus on continuously improving themselves and their organization will be rewarded with promotions and highly desirable duty locations.

Cons

After several years of government civilian and contractor cuts, the military members are now experiencing severe cuts in many career fields and left the overall morale of the force the lowest it has been in years. After pledging to make one-year of deep cuts to minimize the level of amount of stress the force would have to endure, Air Force leadership recently announced a second round of presonnel cuts will be required.

After years of doing 'more with less' the perceived expectation of leadership at the base, command and headquarters level is that few have the morale courage to make the really tough choices on how to save money. The obvious answer is to avoid general across-the-board budget cuts and halt procurement of new weapon systems until federal budget funding stabilizes.

4221 Other Employee Reviews for US Air Force (View Most Recent)

My 24 years in the Air Force has been great.

Current Employee - ICBM Maintenance in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - ICBM Maintenance in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at US Air Force full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In ICBM maintenance you can have a very stable career because you don't have to move from base to base.

Cons

The ICBM bases are in remote northern areas of the US.

Treat your people well.

Great branch, great place to work

Former Employee - US Air Force Enlisted
    Former Employee - US Air Force Enlisted

I worked at US Air Force full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellence, Integrity and Service Before Self are the values. Education benefits are outstanding, including tuition assistance and the GI. Bill. 30 days of leave per year. Ample opportunities for promotions. I did 4 years of active duty right out of high school. It gave me time to establish myself, serve my country, begin my education and eventually decide what I really wanted to do with my life.

Cons

Depending on job, work hours are very long. Sometimes requires working on holidays. Frequent moving and constant need to check in or ask permission from supervisors. There is no "calling in sick" or quitting.

As with all jobs there are some really inspiring and motivational leaders, and some who let their rank get to their head.

There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force